General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Microsoft Surface Studio vs. MacBook Pro 2016: Which is more innovative?

by jasonhiner ·

Tags: 

Personal computers got a burst of new energy in 2016 with the Microsoft Surface Studio all-in-one and the MacBook Pro 2016 laptop. These machines bring new features that are trying to rethink how you interact with your work machine. The Surface Studio can fold down into drafting mode and offers the Studio Dial to access tools and settings more quickly. The MacBook Pro integrates the Touch Bar, a customizable function key/hotkey OLED panel at the top of the keyboard—adaptable based on the software you’re running. Which one is a better idea for enhancing productivity, and why?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

It’s probably going to be determined by what you do…

by Wizard57M-TR ·

In reply to Microsoft Surface Studio vs. MacBook Pro 2016: Which is more innovative?

Rather than any super-duper features offered by these two fine devices. As for myself, my needs are pretty simple, so neither of the two are on my wish list. Fans of both platforms will argue til the cows come home that “their company’s” device is the more innovative. My opinion (yes, I have one, and so far still entitled to it, hehe) the Microsoft Surface Studio represents a much larger swing at the ball, whereas the new Macbook Pro is taking smaller incremental steps. Sometimes I do wonder why Apple is so dead set against adding a true touch screen to their laptops??? Uh ohh…now I’ll get slammed for ignoring “studies” showing Macbook Pro users don’t want a touch screen…wish those folks would tell the youngsters around me to keep their fingers off the screen, this is not their tablet. 😉
      edited to add:
      ps…I don’t have a Macbook Pro, still using my old Acer Aspire One ZG5 netbook, and an old Compaq Presario notebook, but the grandkids still think they can touch the screen to interact. My son-in-law has a Macbook Pro, not sure what year (2012 I think) but I don’t know if he is looking for a new laptop.

Personally not much difference between them

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to It’s probably going to be determined by what you do…

Other than the Microsoft Offering has a newer ChipSet M’Board which can carry much more RAM 32 GIG compared to the Apples 6 GIG. but both can use the latest i7 Intel CPU.

The rest is just design of the case and screen and to be perfectly honest neither is a very big NB both are if anything undersize and neither are suitable for serious work related needs unless of course you need to move around the countryside with a computer and do sales. If that’s the case both are about the same weight to within 30 grams both are more or less the same screen size and it all boils down to what software the company uses

If your business relies on Windows Software then the Surface is what you need and if your company relies on Apple Software then you need the MacBook as simple as that..

Umm, HAL, I think you are confused…

by Wizard57M-TR ·

In reply to Personally not much difference between them

The Macbook Pro can be ordered with 16 GB RAM,
          and the Surface Studio is a HUGE (in comparison) “all in one” type device with I think a 28 in screen that is touch enabled. It can be set at various angles, even folded almost flat to work on similar to say an old school drafting table.
          I could be wrong and it wouldn’t be the first time, but I think you had in mind the Surface Book or maybe the Surface Pro. In those 2, you would be correct for the most part.

They serve different markets

by david.paige ·

In reply to Microsoft Surface Studio vs. MacBook Pro 2016: Which is more innovative?

Try taking the Surface Studio to your next conference and see which is more innovative.

They serve different markets. The MacBook Pro also takes a much smaller bite out of your wallet. I’ve seen articles that say the new MacBook Pro’s are flying off the shelves. I haven’t seen any sales figures for the Surface Studio.

VAIO Canvas Z

by alainbastien ·

Why ?

It’s there >>

The MacBook Pro is more innovative

by vulpinemac ·

Microsoft’s Surface Studio is ten-year-old technology using an adaptation of an Apple-patented base design to drop to its drawing-table angle. Even the wheel is an adaptation of a ten-plus-year-old device used for audio/video editing on Macs. Add to this the typical problematical issues of Windows that build up over time and it’s essentially ‘more of the same’ for Microsoft.

The touch bar on the MacBook Pro offers completely re-programmable functions both analog and digital in almost any application.

Old tech?

by houziwang68 ·

In reply to The MacBook Pro is more innovative

Not sure how you can say any Surface is 10 year old tech…and not really sure what “wheel” you are referring to. I have a Surface and never noticed any of those things. I have not seen anything Apple has to offer that even comes close to any of the Surfaces. Try taking the keyboard off of an Apple…or writing with a stylus on the screen for those artsy people…nope, not happening. If you say it copies Apple, why have I not seen any Apple devices that can do what the Surface can do? I have been working with computers since the Commodore 64, and the TRS 80…and everything in between.

Neither one is particularly innovative

by cfwhitman ·

Since both of these things have been done before, neither one is particularly innovative. As to which is more useful, that probably depends on what you’re doing. The two are not very comparable at all.

Personally, the Macbook’s new keyboard feature doesn’t do much for me. I think I’d rather keep the function keys most of the time. That’s not to say that there is no use for it. It’s just kind of a ‘meh’ feature — not exciting at all. There have been various desktop keyboards that had variations of this feature. There is even one keyboard that has a tiny color screen built into each of its mechanically operated keys, so what it says on each key can change on the fly, but it still has tactile feedback (it is quite expensive as I recall though).

The Surface Studio on the other hand could be very useful if you are using the screen to draw. If you are using the stylus on the screen, it should be very nice. If you’re not, then it’s probably not going to do much for you. The touch feature on its own for a desktop doesn’t seem to be of much particular benefit. Of course, I’d still rather pay much less and use one of the competitors. Even the Wacom Cintiq products are much cheaper, and there are some Asian produced alternatives that are cheaper yet. Of course, the Surface Studio has the highest available resolution by a significant margin, but I still don’t see it being worth the premium attached to the machine at the moment.

Dinosaur vs A Super Intelligent Human Species

by onroda ·

It’s like comparing a dinosaur (MacBook Pro) against a Super Intelligent Human Being (Surface Studio).

MacBooks are “same old, same old”, versus a very modern technological wonder.

MacBooks are the same as they were 10 years ago, but with faster chips inside…

Whereas the Surface Studio is an entirely new species, with all of the bells and whistles that any creative person could want.

IOW, not even close.

Surface Studio is more innovative, but MBP will sell more

by shirley dulcey ·

The Surface Studio is designed for a niche market: creative professionals who want a large touch and/or drawing surface. It will be great for Photoshop wizards, CAD users, and video editors. It should also find a home in audio mixing studios; it will be a great device for controlling a digital mixer or a DAW (digital audio workstation).

But it’s expensive, and there are only a modest number of people for whom it will be a compelling purchase. Meanwhile, there is a larger mainstream that wants portable computing devices, and the ones who are in the Apple camp will mostly continue to buy Apple. (Possible exception: people who need higher end specs than Apple is offering may defect to Windows.) It’s unclear whether the Touch Bar will turn out to be genuinely useful or will be just a flashy gimmick, but the rest of the system addresses the needs of most users well enough so they will buy it in any case. So the new Macbook Pro will sell well, as early results suggest.

Surface Dial

by ftadmin ·

Oddly, the dial was around for some time along with the MS product originally called “Surface”–a large (very expensive) touch table-screen with a built-in PC. Either an original Surface was used or a mock-up of one was used in the move “The Island” by the doctor character, as his desk. Some scenes show him using a puck-like device with it. So, the dial is not exactly new; just new to non-business consumers.

Personally, I’d rather use a dial-like device to shuttle back and forth through film footage and sound waves than a fixed linear scale. Though the caveat would be that the software would have to actually make use of the dial appropriately (e.g.: not skip around so fast), or the point of using an analog-style dial is completely lost.

Just a small conclusion

by charlotte.b ·

I will say that the Surface Studio is good enough to beat the 2015 MacBook Pro, but it is not nearly as good as the 2016 MacBook Pro.

Winner: Surface Studio.

Microsoft Surface Studio is the best.

by abraham319 ·

According to my suggestion, Microsoft surface than Mac book Pro because Microsoft Surface Book has more features and compatibility than Mac Book. Also when we compare the Price between these two Surface would be better than Mac. Also when we look overall performance between two of this device i would suggest Microsoft surface than Mac Book Pro.

Microsoft Surface Studio vs. MacBook Pro 2016: Which is more innovative?

by vinaychandel123 ·

About Surface Book

1. Detachable 2 in 1 laptop,Surface Pro docking station supported
      2. Touch: 10 point multi-touch,Optically bonded.
      3. 8.0MP rear-facing camera with autofocus, with 1080p HD video recording
      4. 12 hour battery.
      5. Glass trackpad 5-point touchpad

About MacBook pro

1. 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 Broadwell family
      2. 8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory
      3. 256GB PCIe-based flash storage

Microsoft Surface Studio vs. MacBook Pro 2016

by winssolseo ·

Microsoft surface studio is better from Macbook

Microsoft Surface Studio vs. MacBook Pro 2016

by winssolseo ·

Microsoft surface studio is better from Macbook

MacBook Pro will better option

by amybros2018 ·

I admit that the Surface Studio is an impressive bit of kit, the extremely high price tag makes it hard to recommend over the iMac 5K. The Surface Studio would only be worth the extra money if you were really going to get use out of the touch-enabled display, and i think that for the most part, that’d only be full-time artists. If you’re looking for a good looking, powerful all-in-one computer to do more than draw, we’d opt for Apple’s iMac 5K.

Mac vs PC

by johnmark1934891 ·

Here we go again: Mac vs PC, Apple vs Microsoft. this time around, It’s the battle for a long time, the upcoming iMac Pro up against the Surface Studio. I am using both Mac and Apple and my support to Microsoft, we use it eco-friendly if you want to check you can check https://microsoftsupport.co/windows-defender-support/

Viewing 14 reply threads