General discussion

migrating from nt4 2000

By geoffdougan ·
I am running nt4 backoffice and wish to change to 2000 server
i have 1 server nt4 and around 30 workstations running win 9x and nt4 workstation
what is the quickest way to start running 2000 server i dont need to upgrade as i have purchased 2 win2k dell servers. can i run them side by side and gradually move over starting with using the 2000 server to validate logons then copy logon scripts and then copy data

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

migrating from nt4 2000

by jtakiwi In reply to migrating from nt4 2000

Do you want to migrate from the NT 4 domain to a 2000 domain, or start a totally new 2000 domain? You can add the 2000 servers to the existing NT 4 domain as member server if you need to use them, but if you want to migrate your current nt domain to2000, you need to promote the NT 4 PDC to windows 2000 first, assuming it is comliant w/ win2k, (which I suspect it's not since you bought 2 new servers). Now, you could load one of your new server w/ NT 4, installed as a BDC, promote it (which willdemote your current PDC), then upgrade that one to win2k server. Now, you can leave the domain in mixed mode and continue to use your (old) NT BDC and your new, upgraded win2k server is the Domain Controller. You can add the second 2000 server as a member or as a DC.

Collapse -

migrating from nt4 2000

by geoffdougan In reply to migrating from nt4 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

migrating from nt4 2000

by geoffdougan In reply to migrating from nt4 2000

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Operating Systems Forums