Question

• Creator
    Topic

Migration win 2000 server to win 2003 server

by nal21 ·

My DC server is Win2000 server, i have install a new Win2003, nd i need to make this one my DC.
    There is any step by step manual to do this?

Thanks

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by nal21 ·

In reply to Migration win 2000 server to win 2003 server

Clarifications

Upgrading from Windows 2000 to Windows Server 2003

by maurya_snil ·

In reply to tis all here

no use of that link

The link

by animatech ·

In reply to Upgrading from Windows 2000 to Windows Server 2003

is good and has information in it.
          I suggest you perform a bit of research before upgrading just to make sure all will work ok.
          The good thing is that win server 2003 is installed by default in a mix mode that will be compatible with you running DC this means that you can join it to the domain as a test system and check that all is working correctly once you are happy you can raise it’s functionality to be the main DC in the business.

Yes You can do.

by gazmend73 ·

In reply to Migration win 2000 server to win 2003 server

First you must install win2000 support tools in your old DC to extend objects of AD and make it compatible with win2003 server.Have a look inside cd with OS 2003.
      After that use in your old DC following commands:adprep /forestprep adprep /domainprep .Once everything seems to be fine ,install win2003 server in your new machine.Create a new account in your DC WIN 2000 like win2003@mydomain.com and make your machine a member of existing domain. Dont forget to give your new machine a valid IP. After that promove your machine as a sedondary domain controller.Don’t transfer 5 roles of DOMAIN CONTROLLER immidiately.Keep your new Domain in test for about 1 month.Please don’t use in your new server HDD SATA O SATA2 IN RAID5, BUT SCSI ONLY.Once you are convinced about stability of this machine proceed with further steps.
      Best reggards
      Gazmend Ajdini

Viewing 2 reply threads