General discussion

Modem driver for HP Vectra VL400 MT...

By cyberghost_1 ·
Here is the problem, I installed WinXP Pro on an HP Vectra VL400 MT, 800MHz, 128MB RAM. I ran into a problem with the modem. I can?t find the driver for it. Its a SMC 56k, model number: smcfm1001. I looked in HP.com and the SMC website, aswell as Driver pages. With no luck, I really need to solve this, my client doesn?t want another modem, I told him he is better off getting another 56k or just getting Cable Internet....oh well

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by JamesRL In reply to Modem driver for HP Vectr ...

I just bought a bulk modem for $7.95.....with drivers!

Before you spend inordinate amounts of money, you might try looking at the chipset. I did a little search, and it looks like your modem is a SMC EZ connect Internal PCI modem supporting V.92. If so, then try this driver - if you are using the same chipset that is:

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=125295

I found it on a mexican e-commerce site, its quite possible that the fm1001 is not a US part number but a foreign one.

Hope that helps.

James

Collapse -

by cyberghost_1 In reply to
Collapse -

by JamesRL In reply to Modem driver for HP Vectr ...

I just bought a bulk modem for $7.95.....with drivers!

Before you spend inordinate amounts of money, you might try looking at the chipset. I did a little search, and it looks like your modem is a SMC EZ connect Internal PCI modem supporting V.92. If so, then try this driver - if you are using the same chipset that is:

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=125295

I found it on a mexican e-commerce site, its quite possible that the fm1001 is not a US part number but a foreign one.

Hope that helps.

James

Collapse -

Collapse -

by willcomp In reply to Modem driver for HP Vectr ...

Try installing and running Everest Home. It should identify the modem and provide chipset information. Once you have chipset, may be able to download generic drivers from chipset manufacturer's web site.

If it is a Motorola SM56 chipset (which it may be), here's a link to drivers.

http://www.motorola.com/softmodem/driver.htm

Dalton

Collapse -

by willcomp In reply to
Collapse -

Collapse -

by Unidentified In reply to Modem driver for HP Vectr ...

Try using the standard driver supplied by XP then diagnose the modem on the control panel. Make sure it is communicating properly and it will work just fine

Niwroc

Collapse -

Collapse -

by grbeckmeyer In reply to Modem driver for HP Vectr ...

I think James has the right idea. Just to put this in perspective...
Even if your billable time is as low as $40/hr (pretty ridiculously low!), if you've spent more than 12 minutes on this, you would have been better off just replacing it. OK, I know, there would still be time involved in installing a new one. But the bottom line is, a new modem is cheaper than 12 minutes of your time (hopefully less time than that, $40/hr is too low)

Back to Desktop Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next