General discussion

more than 1024 cylinders

By odie18 ·
how can i format/configure my SCSI HDD of 18.2GB to comply with the maximum allowed cylinders of WIN NT 4.0 of 1024?
Also, how can i brake the 8.4 GB barrier after i installed the WIN NT 4.0 to maximized the full size of my hard disk.
PCI SCSI CARD MOdel: ADAPTEC ASC29160N
SCSI Hard Disk Model: SEAGATE ST318406LW

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

more than 1024 cylinders

by rapidad In reply to more than 1024 cylinders

the 1024 cylinder limit refers to the ability to boot from the hard drive, anything above 1024 cannot contain the boot image. Your machine will see the whole drive as far as capacity. the 8.4 barrier is only relevant during the install of NT (because you have an older version of the install on your disk, newer versions do not have this restriction) after the install you may go to disk admin and create another disk with the remaining space or use a third party (drive image pro) utility to make the hdd bigger. You may want to look at getting the NT4.0 resource kit (from ebay for around 15.00 us) and or go to W2K which has a really nice feature for spanning multiple disks or striping them. That seagate disk is available on ebay from hdoutlet for 10 for 100.00 us (i just bought a bunch for my old HP Netservers running NT4.0 Server). Remember niether of those restrictions should stop you from using the seagate drives.

Collapse -

more than 1024 cylinders

by odie18 In reply to more than 1024 cylinders

Hi Robert,

Thanks a lot. actually i figured that out just before i read your answer and what you write is 100% correct. Anyways... i really appreciate your answer.
Hope to read from you more... Please don't get bored of helping others...
More power to you and God Bless...

rodel

Collapse -

more than 1024 cylinders

by wcp In reply to more than 1024 cylinders

Assuming your motherboard can see the whole 18.2 GB HD, there?s a way to maximize your HD without worrying about the 8.4GB limit.

You create two partitions on your HD.

The first is a System partition with FAT16 (not FAT32). The size should beat least 125MB. This is where the boot files (Boot.ini, Ntldr, Ntdetect.dos, and Ntbootdd.sys) are going to be.
The 8.4GB limit refers to the boot files residing beyond this limit, which makes the NT unbootable.
This will not happen in our case because the boot files are within the size of the partition.

The second is the Boot partition where the System files Winnt and others will be. The size will be the whole HD minus the size of the first partition.
Because the NTFS size is limited to 4GB when you create the partition while installing Win NT on a blank HD, you have to use a third party software (e.g. Partition Magic or others) or connect your HD to a computer with Win NT to partition with NTFS.
The advantage of creating the partition with NTFS this way is that it is the true NTFS.

Now all you have to do is to install Windows NT from CD and choose (the second partition) for Winnt.

Collapse -

more than 1024 cylinders

by wcp In reply to more than 1024 cylinders

Obviously, the maximum size of the system partition is 2GB since it is the FAT16.

Collapse -

more than 1024 cylinders

Hi wcpaik,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I did that as my first option
but our system (office)standard was restricting me to use less than 4GB of free space on drive C.
Anyway, i found out that I was using an older WIN NT bootable diskette that causes me the trouble.
Now we are using the server with the SCSI Hard Disk in it.
I really appreciate your answer though.
Please Don't get bored of helping others. Thanks again..
More Power to you and God Bless...

Rodel

Collapse -

more than 1024 cylinders

by RCOM In reply to more than 1024 cylinders

Create the maximum partition allowed by the OS then get and use partition magic to increase the size to whatever.

Collapse -

more than 1024 cylinders

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

more than 1024 cylinders

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)