Discussions

Most Common Help Desk tickets and your quick fix reference

+
0 Votes

Most Common Help Desk tickets and your quick fix reference

luk.b
Hi, so Im new to tech republic and this is my first post.
I searched the site and didn't find what I was looking for so I thought Id start a thread here. I'm gonna be going back into a help desk position after being out for a year and a half and I was thinking about compiling a list of the most common help desk tickets and their solutions/steps. Before I did it all myself I thought that maybe there might be some of peoples own reference guides floating around. If you have one please share it with me as I would be much obliged.
- What I have and this is just from the top of my head-
1. Common Printer issues missing/Failed Print
2. No Internet/Limited connectivity
3. Common Outlook Issues disconnecting/Not Opening/No inbound/outbound emails
4. Common Exchange issues
5. Common VPN issues.

and all the small stuff in between. I can easily search and create my own knowledge base but if you have one or know where to look then ill add to it and sharp for the job. Thanks for any input~
  • +
    1 Votes
    keith.bernard

I would suggest knowing password reset procedures and asking about password resets. The other issues I hear about mostly are performance issues, so knowing some common performance fixes helps.

+
    0 Votes
    luk.b

thanks for the up but.., I was hoping for a whole collection. I did some work yesterday and have flow charts for every common issue with outlook, exchange, migrating user email profiles, windows 7 migration, Printer issues, wireless issues, lan issues, blackberry issues, vpn issues. Thats what I have so far. Then I have a list of quick references, like raid levels, ports=protocols, shortcut keys. And finally I have most common portable usb admin tools. If someone has built up a knowledge base already and would like to share then thats what I'm referring to. Stuff you think are things you cant go without when working in a network enviornment/help desk.

+
    0 Votes

CMD

CPhase2

I've found a few instances where educating users on a couple CMD lines can help me immensely. I have a FAQs on our Sharepoint page that includes how to find your Host Name, how to find your MAC address, how to find your IP address, and how to run a gpupdate. Additionally, working in a large enterprise, I have found it useful to educate users on various items in the Control Panel including the power settings, and the Run Advertised Programs. Another tech tip for technicians; if you are in an organization running XP and Win7 and you need to know what OS is being used, if the usr is clueless, ask them if the Start button is rectangular or circular. It might save you the headache of walking them through other methods of identification. If they have managed to configure Win7 to have an XP appearance, they likely already know what OS they have.

+
    0 Votes
    CharlieSpencer

How do you get users to look at it?

+
    0 Votes
    CPhase2

Clearing Cached
    Publishing Certificates
    Creating and Managing a PST
    Defrag/Cleanup (if the organization doesn't lock this down to administrators)
    MS Office Configurations such as quick buttons and autosave timer
    Win7 Snipping Tool rather than Print Screen
    The Task Bar

+
    0 Votes
    sschweigert

You should consider building a Word Press site and throw up all of your knowledge. Then you could have a site that you and everyone else that you know could use for reference.

You could build it for dirt cheap and if you have no web development skills, this would be a snap.

Just a thought.

+
    0 Votes
    pdr5407

1) Setting up new desktops or laptops to connect to the internet.
    2) Setting up printers, wireless features also.
    3) Setup and configure wireless routers with security.
    4) Remove malware and spyware from systems.

• +
    1 Votes
    keith.bernard

I would suggest knowing password reset procedures and asking about password resets. The other issues I hear about mostly are performance issues, so knowing some common performance fixes helps.

+
    0 Votes
    luk.b

thanks for the up but.., I was hoping for a whole collection. I did some work yesterday and have flow charts for every common issue with outlook, exchange, migrating user email profiles, windows 7 migration, Printer issues, wireless issues, lan issues, blackberry issues, vpn issues. Thats what I have so far. Then I have a list of quick references, like raid levels, ports=protocols, shortcut keys. And finally I have most common portable usb admin tools. If someone has built up a knowledge base already and would like to share then thats what I'm referring to. Stuff you think are things you cant go without when working in a network enviornment/help desk.

+
    0 Votes

CMD

CPhase2

I've found a few instances where educating users on a couple CMD lines can help me immensely. I have a FAQs on our Sharepoint page that includes how to find your Host Name, how to find your MAC address, how to find your IP address, and how to run a gpupdate. Additionally, working in a large enterprise, I have found it useful to educate users on various items in the Control Panel including the power settings, and the Run Advertised Programs. Another tech tip for technicians; if you are in an organization running XP and Win7 and you need to know what OS is being used, if the usr is clueless, ask them if the Start button is rectangular or circular. It might save you the headache of walking them through other methods of identification. If they have managed to configure Win7 to have an XP appearance, they likely already know what OS they have.

+
    0 Votes
    CharlieSpencer

How do you get users to look at it?

+
    0 Votes
    CPhase2

Clearing Cached
    Publishing Certificates
    Creating and Managing a PST
    Defrag/Cleanup (if the organization doesn't lock this down to administrators)
    MS Office Configurations such as quick buttons and autosave timer
    Win7 Snipping Tool rather than Print Screen
    The Task Bar

+
    0 Votes
    sschweigert

You should consider building a Word Press site and throw up all of your knowledge. Then you could have a site that you and everyone else that you know could use for reference.

You could build it for dirt cheap and if you have no web development skills, this would be a snap.

Just a thought.

+
    0 Votes
    pdr5407

1) Setting up new desktops or laptops to connect to the internet.
    2) Setting up printers, wireless features also.
    3) Setup and configure wireless routers with security.
    4) Remove malware and spyware from systems.