General discussion

Motherboard and installing Win2000Pro

By Simon_T ·
I'm trying to install Win2000Pro on a machine with an Asus P2V-B motherboard. Problem is Win2000 gets about half way through the setup phase and then just sits in an endless loop. I have replaced everything onthe Pc except the motherboard but its still happening. Any one got any ideas on how I can get past this problem.

Simon
(who is not an MCP, MCSE, just an A+)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

1st?

by ghstinshll In reply to Motherboard and installin ...

I'd first see that the burn you're installing from is good and can install on another machine. You surely have another HD somewhere to test this on, right?

As for the MB, check the hardware compatibility list (HCL) on microsoft's web site for that motherboard. There's also a hardware qualifier disk you can use to check compatibility of your system.

Collapse -

might want to try it

by adeelchaudry In reply to 1st?

did you check the the bios settings ? if not sure reset the bios valuse by clearing cmos settings and after that if it still doesn't work then try disabling the "video bios". and yes i belive you changed the cdrom and checked the cd if it works on other comp or not.

Collapse -

Where does it..

by slam5 In reply to Motherboard and installin ...

I afraid I need more info before I will try to diagnose the problem. Where does it hang? How much RAM do you have? Does your system run some other OS ok? (eg: NT, Win 98, etc)?

Collapse -

Problem install of Win2000

by Simon_T In reply to Where does it..

The PC has 64MB RAM, 8GB HDD, I have installed Win98 and NT4 Workstation without any troubles. Both have worked well.

Collapse -

Locking up when installing Win 2000

by slam5 In reply to Problem install of Win200 ...

Was the system detecting hardware when it hangs?

Collapse -

CUV4X-E same problem

by maxwell edison In reply to Motherboard and installin ...

Shortly after I bought an ASUS CUV4X-E motherboard, I received an email from my supplier telling me that he was informed (by ASUS) that the BIOS on that board would not support Windows 2000 installations. They were waiting for an upgrade to the BIOSto correct the problem.

I suspect that your P2V-B may have the same problem.

A search on the ASUS (or AWARD) Web site for a BIOS upgrade will most likely solve your (and my) Windows 2000 install problem. (I haven't tried to install Windows 2000 on this machine yet, but I will be in the next few weeks.)

Maxwell

Collapse -

Bios and Memory

by int In reply to Motherboard and installin ...

I think yr mainboard Bios is not correctly assignet,

Set Powermanagement en ACPI on enabled
(y have to install windows 2000 again from cd)

Thry to download a mem. tester en run it

good luck

INT

Back to IT Employment Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)