General discussion

moving exchange 2000 mailboxes

By jimmy ·
We have small business server running xchange but have introduced a new win 2k server and installed regular copy exchange 2000 to this server.
We have all the appropriate licenses.
Both the SB server (DC) and the win2k server (PC/Server) are in the same domain.
When we installed xchange to the win2k server all seemed to go well but.. We cant move the mailboxes from the old SB server to the new win 2k server
Also when we installed xchange to the win2k server it was simply like an install ofoffice2k which gave us options of which parts of the SW we wanted to install etc.
We had posted a question to a newsgroup and were told to do the following:

"During installation of Xchange, install it to the same administrative group. This will make both Xchange run on the same network".
When you install Xchange, it will ask you if you want to install it to a new "Org" or an existing "Org". If you install it to an
existing "Org" (<-where your SBS Exchange belongs), both Xchange (SBS Xchange and W2k Xchnage) will be able to communicate to
each other. Once that is done, you can use "Move Mailbox" from Xchange Tasks to move the mailboxes. If you use this method, you don't need to use Exmerge.

We weren't asked what organisation we wanted to make our installation a part of. Did we do something wrong during installation?
Like i say the installation was basically like an install of office2k for example asking if we wanted to doa custom or standard install.

Our original version of Xchange ran fine and after installtion of exchange 2000 onto the new wind2k server we see both exchange servers in the Xchange manager console.

My question is:
1 - How do we move the mailboxes.
2 - People have been asking is the win2k server a member server? (how do i make it a member if it is not already)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Walid Sabra In reply to moving exchange 2000 mail ...

Since you running a small buisness company. This means that there is no many Mailboxes on the SBS Server.
so that, The best way to do that I belive just to export the mailboxes from the SBS into separate files and ahve a new clean installation forw2k server & Exchange Then import the exported files.

Collapse -

by jimmy In reply to moving exchange 2000 mail ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by jimmy In reply to moving exchange 2000 mail ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)