General discussion

Moving exchange 2000

By Tech_Guy1 ·
I currently have an exchange server that is going down about twice a week and have a new server coming in today. I need to move exchange from one server to the other and am trying to find the best way to do this. Our business runs 24 x 7 so I can't really take it down to copy and transfer backups. I was looking into installing exchange and synchronizing the two servers and moving it that way, but haven't found any documentation on this. Any Ideas or documents I can get my hands on?

Thanks for the help,

Lee

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Tech_Guy1 In reply to Moving exchange 2000

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Moving exchange 2000

Microsoft article 297289 How to move exchange 2000 to new hardware is a pretty good one to read for what your trying to do. There are many different aspects to moving exchange server. Site replication, data base, data base logs, mailboxes and what not and there are different articles on Microsoft help and support dealing with each one of these topics. Also, I would pose this question on the Microsoft Community newsgroups for exchange. They would have a better grasp on whats required to replace an aging exchange box with a new one. .

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

check out www.msexchange.org web site for some really good stuff on exchange server[ all flavors].

Collapse -

by Jellimonsta In reply to Moving exchange 2000

For what you want to do you should probably use the move mailbox wizard in Exchange 2000. You can do it in whole, segmental or by a mailbox by mailbox basis. As you note you are running Exchange 2000 I make the assumption you are also running Windows 2000 AD. To move a users mailbox: Install Exchange 2000 onto the new server and join the server to your existing Exchange site. Open AD users and computers> right click on the user, or select all desired users who have mailboxes to be moved (if you select users who do not have mailboxes they will simply be skipped) Choose Exchange Tasks> Move Mailbox. Choose the new server and what ever mailbox store you wish for them to be on. Then click finish. It takes a few minutes to move and about 10-15 for the rest of the behind the scenes stuff.

Collapse -

by Tech_Guy1 In reply to
Collapse -

by Tech_Guy1 In reply to Moving exchange 2000

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)