General discussion

MS-Project 2003 Professional Performance

By PMQUEEN ·
We have a project schedule that is approaching 20,000 tasks. It takes several minutes to load or calculate. This is the case for ethernet or token ring connection. The PC surpasses Microsoft's minimum requirements. Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to MS-Project 2003 Professio ...

What speed is the network connection?

Is the network connection fully duplexed?

What is the size of the file we are discussing?

What other traffic is on this segment?

Is the file located on a workstation or a server?

What operating system is this system using?

What does performance monitor show happening on that system during the opening of this file?

This could be so many different issues that we need more information to relate a reasonable fix.

Collapse -

by PMQUEEN In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by PMQUEEN In reply to MS-Project 2003 Professio ...

We have eliminated all connection and network areas as the problem. The only variable is the version of MS-Project. The file was created in MS-Project 2000. When you open it in MS-Project 2003, the performance issue occurs. The file is 9.57 MB. I talked with Microsoft yesterday. He mentioned something about needing to bring over this file via a wizard. I'm not sure what he is talking about. I have another contact to call today.

Collapse -

by exclubiz In reply to MS-Project 2003 Professio ...

1) Are you running the MS Project as a standalone application? or you are connected with a Project Server?

2) Is the mpp file is shared by multiple people?

Collapse -

by PMQUEEN In reply to

I accidentally answered my own question! Here is the response to answer 2's questions.

1) Are you running the MS Project as a standalone application? or you are connected with a Project Server? We have tried it both ways. When running standalone, there is no performance issue. Microsoft was on-site recently and saw the issue in action. It appears to be something quirky in the connection to the web project server. Could it be a network setting mismatch? I'm not a network guru so I don't know what the problem is. They are trying to nail it down.

2) Is the mpp file is shared by multiple people? No. Only 1 project manager is working with the file. There are no resources assigned, no dependencies, and no work. Just the task names.

Collapse -

Response to answer 2:

1) Are you running the MS Project as a standalone application? or you are connected with a Project Server? We have tried it both ways. When running standalone, there is no performance issue. Microsoft was on-site recently and saw the issue in action. It appears to be something quirky in the connection to the web project server. Could it be a network setting mismatch? I'm not a network guru so I don't know what the problem is. They are trying to nail it down.

2) Is the mpp file is shared by multiple people? No. Only 1 project manager is working with the file. There are no resources assigned, no dependencies, and no work. Just the task names.

Collapse -

by exclubiz In reply to MS-Project 2003 Professio ...

One more point to be noted is that which Operating System are you currently using.

1) If it is Windows XP, then install the Service Pack 2 as soon as possible.Most of office applications are bit slow in Windows XP and since your file size is also large, then it is always better to have the latest service pack.

2) If it is possible use project server, then you can convert/publish these tasks into the server, so that the data will be stored in SQL server database.

Collapse -

by PMQUEEN In reply to

Running Windows XP SP2. Runs fine on the workstation. It's when you are connected to the project web server that the performance issue occurs.

Collapse -

by Furqan Asrar In reply to MS-Project 2003 Professio ...

We have a similar problem only that there are lesser tasks but dependencies, baseline etc.

You could try Shrinking the database on the SQL Server. That solved some of the problem I had before.

If you read the (I think) Top 10 recommendations you will find a setting to enhance the SQL Server performance by increasing the packet size. Although I have not done it on my production server, my test server has not been affected too much. Its a recommendation nonetheless...

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to IT Employment Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)