Question

• Creator
    Topic

My Computer Keeps restarting

by symo87 ·

Hi guys, I have this problem with this PC I’m trying to fix. It is a HP dx7500 It keeps on rebooting at start up, making strange sounds from the Mobo. I tested the power supply and it is working, reset BIOS, unseated and seated RAM, plugged and unplugged connectors but still the same issue persisted. I then swapped the current processor with another. Though the computer powered on without the restarts nothing was on screen and the chassis fan wasn’t spinning. Kindly assist me analyze this issue

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by symo87 ·

In reply to My Computer Keeps restarting

Clarifications

restarting

by visualretailplus ·

May be you window is crypt.

Reponse To Answer

by symo87 ·

In reply to restarting

I don’t think so. It hardly boots past POST

answer

by nickp2012 ·

could be that your system overheated

Reponse To Answer

by de.doughboy ·

In reply to answer

not very likely under a cold boot.

Reponse To Answer

by symo87 ·

In reply to answer

All the fans are working to the optimum

Rebooting

by rob ·

Can you start your computer in safe mode? If so, then this could be a falty driver. If not then you have some kind of hardware issue. But I would try running a repair on the OS or a roll back of the OS. Have you installed any new drivers prior to your computer getting in the a reboot cycle?
      Have you tried to run a rapair or roll back on your system? Press and hold the F8 key as your computer starts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.
      I hope this helps you and good luck

Reponse To Answer

by symo87 ·

In reply to Rebooting

It doesn’t boot past the HP start up screen.

It could be your USB mouse

by pawandev ·

Some of the old HP desktop have this issue, when the windows is ready for login and you move the mice, it just restarts. Two ways to avoid this would be either you use a mouse with PS2 connector or unplug the mouse while restart and plug in when you are on login screen.

Reponse To Answer

by de.doughboy ·

In reply to It could be your USB mouse

I’ve never heard of this one so thanks for pointing it out. I usually start by removing all the physical devices including the HD connection to see if I can get a hold of the bios page. Sometimes a bad memory chip can also cause this so unplugging that can also help. You will need 1-memory chip to boot older machines.

Reponse To Answer

by symo87 ·

In reply to It could be your USB mouse

I tried restarting it without any peripheral attached to it but still it keeps cutting the power

Yes virus can also cause this.

by de.doughboy ·

i agree that rebooting under a different OS is best way to determine that you dont have a windows virus like the loveBUG. It forces the PC into auto shutdown and runs the memory dump cmd. Pick up a copy of Linux-today at your local magazine shop where you can get a free Linux-mint boot CD. it wont make any changes to your PC unless you select install. Select run from CD-goLIVE to boot from the CD.

Have you tried another Power Supply?

by hal 9000 ·

Just because the old one may appear to be working doesn’t mean that it’s working properly or producing the right voltages.

A slightly higher voltage on the 3 V Rail will cause the CPU to overheat and restart the system constantly.

I’ve had that problem with HP Power Supplies previously.

Col

Reponse To Answer

by symo87 ·

In reply to Have you tried another Power Supply?

Will try and test it with another supply tonight. I tried replacing the CPU but i still behaves the same. Could it be that the motherboard is faulty. I am using an HP dx7500 series

Reponse To Answer

by oh smeg ·

In reply to Have you tried another Power Supply?

Yes the M’Board could be faulty ad if it is I would suspect the Power Supply has fried it.

Just because Fans Spin and lights work doesn’t mean that the Power Supply is working it just means that it is supplying enough power to spin the fans and light the LED’s, in the case of the LED’s they can be lit from .5 of a volt to 12 volts with virtually no current.

Beep codes

by athamyr ·

Have you considered looking up the beep codes for the motherboard on the computer?

With the beep code, the motherboard itself would tell you what is wrong.

Computer keeps restarting

by springsscouter ·

Years ago when I worked at HP, I saw this on a server for one of our contracted support customers. We replaced virtually everything (video card, cable, motherboard, power supply, backplane) on the server, only and eventually (after weeks of troubleshooting) to find that the reset button was sticking, causing the server to constantly reboot. Check the reset button, on the case.

Gregg

on/off-reboot over and over.

by sn2112 ·

I think I had this problem in a presario with XP. I only recall that it was either a virus or corrupt boot/sys start file. Had nothing to do with cpu,psu,ram,board. Try f8 safe mode as well? My go to guy who knows more than I do, I think he was able to copy file folders, and re-install the OS. There had been some root kit bad things that re-spawn themselves if you try to delete them.

Difficult

by davidfacer ·

Hi.
      These problems are difficult to analyze, far less fix.
      1. I suggest strongly that you try booting from a CD such as Hirens Boot CD. Success in this would point to an O/S issue. Then run the memory checker off the Hirens CD. So many puter issues start and end with bad RAM.
      2. Should your situation not improve, I suggest – if you can – to access the BIOS and disable the SATA controller completely, then reboot again with the Hirens CD. The SATA HDD controller is the first firmware to load in the post process. If you gain a successful boot here you will need to replace the motherboard, or simply not be able to utilize SATA.
      Best of luck!

Viewing 10 reply threads