Question

My Dell Dimension C521 Stalls on booting process

By jviso ·
Friends of this forum... I have a Dell Dimension C521 running Windows Vista Home Basic, 2.5GB RAM, 80GB HD. It has been working without problems since I first got it, but, lately it has been doing something very strange. When I turn it off and then try to re-boot it it will stall giving me a black screen without even doing the POST and the power button shows orange. So far, I have tested the power supply with the IPCQUEEN power supply tester and it shows OK. I have disconnected all preripherals and just power up only with the mobo and does not even do the POST, then, I removed all memory sticks and left only one and nothing different, but, I did notice that if I leave the power cord unplugged for a while and then just plug it back in then it boots up normally and everything works. Now, with the PC on, randomly I have come back to it and shows lines accross the monitor and the PC is all frozen. Now, I have been reading about power supplies and there is this Power Good Signal that I believe is the culprit... My theory is that this signal is malfunctioning (maybe the regulator gets overheated and then quits) and the computer freezes up and when let cool off then it boots up again.
I ran diagnostics for the memory modules and nothing abnormal was found. I have run sfc /scannow too and everything seems to be in order.
I would love to hear from anybody who might have run into something like this. Does it make sense to you about the Power Good Signal being the one to blame? My conclusion is that the power supply is malfunctioning, but, I want to hear from you all before I order a new one.
I thank you all in advance for taking the time to write your suggestions!

Cordially,

julian

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

RE: Does it make sense to you about the Power Good Signal being the one

by OH Smeg In reply to My Dell Dimension C521 St ...

Yes it quite passably may be the problem the way to check is to turn off and when the system will not restart to Unplug the Power lead and press the ON Button for 15 Seconds then plug the Mains Lead back in and try turning on again.

If it works now the PS is most likely faulty and needs replacing.

Incidentally the PS Tester that you used isn't Fool Proof it only tests the 12 V DC Rail actually only one of them at that so it doesn't look at the 5 or 1.3 V DC Lines. I have seen PS's that test OK with these testers but completely fail to start a Computer at all. I've also seen PS's that have dead 1.3 V DC Rails that pass these tests.

Col

Collapse -

If you have to remove

by Jacky Howe In reply to My Dell Dimension C521 St ...

the power connector from the PSU to get it to power on then it is time for a replacement PSU. Antec have a good reputation.

Back to Hardware Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums