Question

• Creator
    Topic

My Dell optiplex 320 won’t boot

by vigyo ·

My system won’t boot, what happerns is the system board light is on with an amber light on. And the hdd and cd room are not responding. I’ve change the psu but still the same problem.Romoved the memory but no beeping sound.

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by vigyo ·

In reply to My Dell optiplex 320 won’t boot

Clarifications

Well provided that this was working previously

by oh smeg ·

Look at the M’Board for any possible Short Circuits that may be cutting the power to things.

If it’s not a loose screw that has worked its way under the M’Board you only have the M’Board/CPU left as the culprit here.

Col

Try reseating the CPU

by rob miners ·

Remove the Power cord from the PSU to discharge the Capacitors in the Power Supply. Then press the Power button for 10 seconds to discharge the Capacitors on the Motherboard.
      Plug the power cord back in and see if it will start. If it does replace the Power Supply Unit (PSU).

Reseat the Central Processing Unit
      Faulty Fans, Dust and Grime build up on the Heatsink restricting air flow. Remove the Power cable from the rear of the System and disconnect the Video cable. I would give the inside of the case a blowout with compressed air. When blowing air through the fans make sure that you physically stop them from spinning, as they may generate power and damage something. Use an Anti-Static Wrist Strap to ground yourself or by placing the back of your hand on the Power Supply Unit and not moving your feet. This will prevent electrostatic charge from building up and by not taking this precaution it is possible that you could inadvertantly cause damage to the PC from an electrostatic discharge.

Then remove the Heatsink, giving it a thorough clean and reseat the CPU applying new CPU grease. If the Fans spin freely when you give them a spin they are probably OK. If there is resistance replace them.

Clean the golden edge of each memory stick with a soft rubber/eraser, remembering not to touch the golden edge of the memory stick. Check with one stick at a time, remembering to disconnect the power from the PC.

Also check the Capacitors around the CPU for swelling or bulging.

Viewing 2 reply threads