General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Need help choosing between Sun and MS Cert

by four-eyes ·

Hi,

I’m trying to choose between the Sun Certified Programmer or an MCAD(VB.NET) certification.

I’ve been programming with VB for more than 9 years now. I’ve had programming experience with Java (JSP, applets, servlets, standalone apps) for just over a year.

Can you guys suggest which certification path I should take first? Which would serve me better in the long run? I’d surely appreciate your advice!

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

My two cents…

by rb_itprofessional ·

In reply to Need help choosing between Sun and MS Cert

Well, my honest opinion is that neither of these two will server you better “in the long run” as you put it. As I am sure, others will mention, technology changes from day to day. I got certified in 2 of Sun’s programmer certifications within the last couple of years. I realize however, that today, the value of these certs is zero unless I can prove that I know what I am doing and that i’ve applied what i’ve learned in some manner. Therefore, my approach to keeping my skills fresh, AND building my resume, is a combination of volunteering my services to community groups, giving presentations at Users Groups, and attending conventions. I put all of these things on my resume. I’ve gotten greater response from this type of involvement with my career than from certifications alone.

I see you point…

by four-eyes ·

In reply to My two cents…

I see you point. But for my part, I think my resume already lists sufficient experience with Java. From what i’ve been seeing lately, prospective employers as well as clients are becoming interested in whether you are certified in something or not, as the certification is probably proof to them that you really know something about programming in Java, etc…

Viewing 0 reply threads