General discussion

Need User Rights + for Win2000 Prof

By bssrssm ·
I have a non-win2000 certified program that works fine on a stand alone machne under Win2000 prof if logged on as an administrator, or power user. It will not run for normal users. I understand some legacy applications behave this way. I don't want to give everyone power user privledges with the ability to add users and manage accounts, as only certain people are suppose to use this computer. Is there a way to generate a group profile (or other work around) with security privledges between those of a power user and a normal user that will let them run these applications without all the other power user rights? I didn't see any obvious settings in the administrator tools for local security settings.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by paidhima In reply to Need User Rights + for Wi ...

I'm not sure as to whether you can create a specific account allowing for it, but I do know you can use the "run as" command to run your application as the administrator. Look under Start>Help for information on the "Run as" command.

Collapse -

by bssrssm In reply to Need User Rights + for Wi ...

If someone can use the runas command to use Administrator or Power User privledges, they can also log in to the computer using whatever username/password was used to execute the runas command. This doesn't limit their privledges, it is just a convenience so they don't have to log out and back in with on a different user acount with the more powerful privledges, or it allows them to access a different domain from the one they are logged into.

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by Dragon Emperor In reply to Need User Rights + for Wi ...

There are a variety of security settings that can cause an application to fail due to lack of permissions. The most common is attempting to use the registry without the proper permissions. Making sure the user has read/write permissions on the programs registry subtree will probably take care of the problem. If that doesn't do the trick then there is the more tedious route of experimenting with different rights to get it to work, but usually it is just a registry problem. Does the application give a specific error message or just quite?

Collapse -

This was helpful. I didn't realize you could set individual user permissons on registry keys. I didn't see the programs registry subtree, but I did get the programs to work using the local software registry key permissons. The only thing I'm not sure of is what other things they can do that I may not desire for maintaining the machines such as loading unauthorized software. Thanks

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Operating Systems Forums