General discussion

NetWare 5.0 and Windows 2000 Clients

By Q2Ggirl ·
I have a Novell server running NetWare 5.0 and have several Windows 2000 workstations that have the Client32 software.

The problem is that the 2000 workstations have intermittent problems excuting the drive mapping in the login script. Sometimes the drive to their user directory will map correctly and sometimes it won't.

What settings should I check on both the Novell server and client software on the 2000 PC's.

Also, sometimes this happens on Windows95/98 PC's as well where it willshow the drive mapped in My Computer, but in order to access information from it, you have to browse through Network Neighborhood.

Thank you.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Dan_C In reply to NetWare 5.0 and Windows 2 ...

The easiest way to troubleshoot would be to make sure you have:

Map Display On
and
Map Errors On

That will show you any NetWare related errors on mapping if any.

You might also want to check out the list of known Win2k / XP client issues on Novell at http://www.novell.com/documentation/lg/noclienu/index.html?noclienu/data/a4t830y.html

Also, the latest Client 4.83 SP (from yesterday) mentions several fixes for mapping and drive access under Win2k. All of which are documented here : http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10071896.htm

If you can get a specific error from the login script results log, it would make things a lot easier tracking the error though ;-)

Collapse -

by Q2Ggirl In reply to NetWare 5.0 and Windows 2 ...

This did not solve my problem. Nothing is being captured.

Collapse -

I have the map display as well as map errors on, and it shows that it maps the drive. When you go to My Computer to double click and access the drive is when it will not open and say that it is unavailable. However if you go the round-about way throught Network Neighborhood, you can access the directory that the mapping was pointing to.

I need to know what setting I need to check on the Novell server to keep this from happening.

Collapse -

by dragon_45 In reply to NetWare 5.0 and Windows 2 ...

Check to make sure microsoft client is not also loading. Check advanced setting on the client software. Set the protocol to what your want, not just let it settings.

Try one maping. If it works rountinely add until you all are added. Watch for any Capture commands. It could be searching for a problem printer.

Bottom line
Start out as small as possible. add until your find a problem.

Good Luck
Richard Bolha

Collapse -

This did not solve my problem. Tried it and it intermittently still happens.

Collapse -

This is a mixed NT\Novell environment so the NT Client is needed as well on the workstations.

There are not any capture statements being used.

Collapse -

by dragon_45 In reply to NetWare 5.0 and Windows 2 ...

Have you tried setting the frame type off of the client advanced settings? I seen this happen when set to auto.

Richard Bolha

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)