General discussion

Netware 5.11 and Printers

By jharold ·
My company is upgrading servers to Netware 5.11. At some locations there are over a thousand workstations. We are already deploying the updated client using ACU along with updating the shortcuts with a script. Does anyone have an idea on how we can install the printers on the workstations without touching all the workstations. Is there a possible third party software. Would really like to hear from you!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by JimBb In reply to Netware 5.11 and Printers

If you have NetWare 5.1, you have NDPS. This will enable you to send out printer drivers, along with a set of parameters (paper size, max number of copies etc.) to your users, on a per-container base. You can even indicate per container which should be the default printer.
Another possibility is Novell's ZENworks for Desktops. This can distribute both printqueues and NDPS printer objects per user, group, container or even company-wide.

But if your tree is properly set up, and the printers sort of match the containers, then NDPS is definitely the solution for you. All from your "lazy" chair. And it's free!

Jim

Collapse -

by jharold In reply to Netware 5.11 and Printers

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by rogerndgreen In reply to Netware 5.11 and Printers

I agree with the first answer (although my hand-on experience has only really been with Zen)
It just works (but if you use this route and use Lexmark printers, I suggest that you use the MS-provided postscript drivers, as they seem to distribute more consistently than the Lexmark PCL ones). Well on my network they do!

Roger

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Duster52 In reply to Netware 5.11 and Printers

ZEN and NDPS definitely. It is the easiest and cleanest way to distribute printers to everyone. NDPS is already part of NW5.x.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by estebandelatorre In reply to Netware 5.11 and Printers

NDPS is an outstanding solution for your needs. Once instaled, it holds all the relations between drivers_to_printer, and when your wks select a printer which is not installed, it automatically upload a part of the driver set, in order to send the job to the printer.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Aaron F In reply to Netware 5.11 and Printers

Don't forget to use the ACU to deploy NDPS client to all your workstations.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Back to Networks Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Hardware Forums