Question

• Creator
    Topic

Network Connectivity issue

by faithlove ·

Hi I am having an issue with a desktop computer getting online. There is a cable modem connected to a belkin wireless router. No matter what lan port I plug the desktop in I get limited connectivity. If I plug the desktop directly to modem I get connected. I confirmed that the ports on belkin router are working with a laptop. I tried another ethernet cable to computer and get same resultswhen I do a ipconfig there are different letters like “fffefeefeff” for ip . What would caused this desktop not be able to connect while plug into belkin router?

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by faithlove ·

In reply to Network Connectivity issue

Clarifications

Network adapter, configuration, drivers

by robo_dev ·

what OS?

Assume you have tried to run Repair on LAN connection?

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the LAN adapter in Windows?

Does the PC have a personal firewall application loaded?

Reponse To Answer

by faithlove ·

In reply to Network adapter, configuration, drivers

Hi it’s win xp. 5 have ran repair, uninstall and reinstall, I tried winsock reset. If I connect this desktop directly to cable modem it get connected but not connected when plug into the belkin wireless router

Hardware Ports only?

by mustangman65 ·

Have you tried connecting a wireless device to the Belkin Wireless router? Does it pull an IP address? Does it get a good or just limited connection? If it does not pull an address from the router you may want to check your router’s DHCP configuration.

Reponse To Answer

by faithlove ·

In reply to Hardware Ports only?

Yes I can connect wirelessly and gets an ip.

Reponse To Answer

by faithlove ·

In reply to Hardware Ports only?

From the cable modem I have the ethernet cable plug into internet port of Belkin router. Then there are 4 LAN Ports. I have tried all of them and it does the samething. This is happening only with this desktop for some reason. It’s so strange because the desktop will get connected if I plug it directly to cable modem and I also tested the desktop from another home cable modem and linksys wireless router and it works.

Network Connectivity Issue

by ljohr ·

Maybe try and disable IPV6 on your LAN Adapter. Can you perhaps post a screenshot of your IPCONFIG Result

Windows Firewall

by sslevine ·

The Belkin is no doubt providing DHCP in IPV4 only. In COntrol Panel, open Network Sharing Center and click MAnage Network Connections. Right click the active NIC, and click Properties. Uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 and click OK.

Return to Network Sharing Center – in lower left, click on Windows Firewall. Turn off Windows Firewall. You already have a router providing firewalling, and Windows Firewall can be problematic when connecting to the internet through various devices, at least in my experience.

Just to confirm…

by rob kuhn ·

You do have the WAN/Internet port on the back of the Belkin connected to the cable modem?

if you plugged the cable modem into one of the LAN ports on the back of the Belkin then it’s not going to work – at least not without some setup in the router. 🙂

If you do have the cable modem plugged into one of the LAN ports (for whatever reason – maybe to use it as an Ethernet switch), you may need to disable the DHCP/DNS service in the Belkin router because it’s going to use the WAN/Internet port as the gateway and since there’s nothing plugged in there …. 🙂

So, after you disable DHCP/DNS you should be able to hit the Internet because you are in a sense connecting directly to the cable modem.

However, if you plan to add/connect more machines to the Belkin router only one will be able to hit the Internet. That said there was a time (before home routers) where if you wanted to have more than one machine connected to a single cable modem (or DSL modem) you had to purchase/lease the additional IPs; back in the day we had @Home as our ISP (which later was purchased by Cox Communication) and we had two machines. No home routers were available so we had to lease two static IPs. A switch was used to share the single cable modem.

Later I built a small LINUX box to act as a software firewall, DHCP and DNS server and used it as my router for the machines in the house. it was fine because we really didn’t have video streaming or anything that really bogged the bandwidth 🙂

Anyway, I digress …

How did you configure/setup the Belkin router? Have you tried to reset it back to factory default and start over? What model is your Belkin router?

Also, is the Belkin router new? If so how did you configure/set it up?

Reponse To Answer

by faithlove ·

In reply to Just to confirm…

Hi I turned off the dhcp in belkin wireless and it works. The computer can now get online and we can also connect to wifi. Thanks alot everyone for the help.

Reponse To Answer

by faithlove ·

I am surprise that this is the only way I could get on wow. I had to turn off dhcp, plug cable coming from modem in Lan port 1 and plug computer cable in another LAN port. bingit’s up

Reponse To Answer

by rob kuhn ·

By disabling the DHCP services on the Belkin router you basically made it into an Ethernet switch and so that is why it’s now working.

However, out of curiosity, why are you not connecting the cable modem to the WAN/Internet port?

Reponse To Answer

by faithlove ·

Hi Rob I had it plug into the wan/internet port first and that is when it was not connecting to internet from this paticular desktop. That is why I ask for help in the beginning.

Reponse To Answer

by rob kuhn ·

The way you have it setup now is no different than if you were to plug directly into the cable modem. If you plug another computer into the Belkin router (which is now performing as an Ethernet switch) only one computer will be able to get onto the Internet.

To get the second computer on the Internet will require you disconnect the first computer or you have a computer plugged into one of the LAN ports that also serves as the DHCP/DNS server.

That being said, was this Belkin router working before? Or is this the first time being put into use? If it’s the later you will need to configure it which is either through a setup utility or by connecting directly to it via network cable. What is the model of that Belkin?

Power Cycle cable modem

by sydasupafly ·

Have you tried power cycling the cable modem?

Reponse To Answer

by faithlove ·

In reply to Power Cycle cable modem

I did already. I got it resolve by turning off dhcp in the router

As other have said, we would expect the wirless router to have a WAN port

by gdburton9 ·

I wonder what model Belkin router this is? Does it in fact have an ADSL modem on the WAN side that you are not using?
      If that is the case, by using it as a Ethernet switch & wireless access point, you are missing some of the facilities. But perhaps these are being provided by the Cable modem.
      Life is so complicated these days with boxes providing many facilities.

About (issue)

by sjdion ·

Soon…

Viewing 8 reply threads