General discussion

network/ internet problem AD 2000

By dianawongso ·
I have a smal network running windows server 2000, now i got a linksys router that i use as a gateway to internet.

the problem i got is the moment i connect to internet through the gateway, i cannot connect to my LAN anymore.
pls help!!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to network/ internet problem ...

You should set up the AD server as your DNS server and set a forwarder to the router for Internet access.

Collapse -

by dianawongso In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by a.aomar In reply to network/ internet problem ...

i guess you have 2 options :

1- either to make the Linsys Router lan ip address in the same range of ip address that you use in your lan and connect it to ur switch .

2- if you have ISA server installed over the Win2000 server then implment another NIC in the server and connect it directly to the internet and change the settings of your TCP/Ip of the first NIC by giving it the IP address of the second NIC as a Gateway.

i think this might help you.

Best regards,
Simba

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to network/ internet problem ...

humm, I'll assume that you have W2K server with DNS, AD, DHCP etc [makes it a DC] installed on it. I'll also assume that you configured your server with a static IP address . Now to reach the internet, you probably has to specify a default gateway and DNS server on the W2K server. In setting the DNS server on the NIC, you should have both your W2K Server IP address AND your ISP DNS address, preferably your W2K server box 1st and your ISPs DNS's second [plus populating a list of additional DNS servers in the TCP/IP advance properties DNS page. Also you need to enable fowarders on your DNS server. That way unresolved queries to your DNS server will be fowarded to your ISPs DNS server [or root name servers on the internet].

You could probably not go through all this and just multihome your W2K box. That way theres not confusion.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

ah, I would check DHCP if its install just to make sure that the option for gateway, DNS, are set so they provide clients with necessary DNS, Gateway information.

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)