Question

Networked printer over VPN / Win2000 Server

By Twistedpear ·
I have support a business that has two locations. Location ONE, houses an Win2000 Server, which holds a very large Quickbooks DB. Through a VPN in another state, users from location TWO, access this DB through Windows RDP. There is an HP 1320N in location TWO, that I would like to be able to print to, while using the QB DB. Example: print shecks to the HP1320.

For some reason, I cannot see the printer from the server, I cant even find it while searching via IP.

Ive had MINIMAL success... with installing the printer as a SHARED printer, because I can see the computers in location TWO via IP. But this isnt working either... the server losses the link for some reason within a day or so (even after setting host system to static IP.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keith

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

From Cisco's Web site

by bnolan In reply to Networked printer over VP ...

Unable to Print or Browse by Name

When the VPN Client is connected and configured for local LAN access, you cannot print or browse by name on the local LAN. There are two options available to work around this situation:

Browse or print by IP address.

In order to browse, instead of using the syntax \\sharename, use the syntax \\x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the host computer.

In order to print, change the properties for the network printer to use an IP address instead of a name. For example, instead of the syntax \\sharename\printername, use \\x.x.x.x\printername, where x.x.x.x is an IP address.

Create or modify the VPN Client LMHOSTS file. An LMHOSTS file on a Windows PC allows you to create static mappings between hostnames and IP addresses. For example, an LMHOSTS file might look like this:

192.168.0.3 SERVER1
192.168.0.4 SERVER2
192.168.0.5 SERVER3In Windows XP Professional Edition, the LMHOSTS file is located in %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\Etc. Refer to your Microsoft documentation or Microsoft KB Article 314108 for more information.

Collapse -

VPN & Printing

by muhammad.nazry In reply to From Cisco's Web site

Hi

can you explaint more in this discussion.
thank.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums