General discussion

Networking

By dpclarke ·
I would like to know how to setup a novel network to have all the application software loaded on it and have the workstations that connect to this server utilize these software without having to install the software on the workstations.

Also how can I do this same thing on a NT Server

Thank you for your assistance.
Denise

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Networking

by DC1 In reply to Networking

With Novell you would implement ZEN networks and for NT you would use SMS.

Collapse -

Networking

by dpclarke In reply to Networking
Collapse -

Networking

by timber In reply to Networking

This is different for each piece of software. You do it the same from Novell or NT. My example will be MS Office consult your manuel or vendor for other software.

1. Map a drive to the server that you wish to install office too. (You have to have admin rights on that directory.)

2. Insert the Office CD at the Workstation. Type Setup /A for administrative setup. This will prompt you to pick a location choose the drive you mapped earlier.

3. From every other client map the same driveletter to the same share as you did in step 2. Go to the MS Office dir and run setup choose run from network. This will make the changes on the workstation such as .ini files and registry. But will run the app from the server. (this has to be doneon each client PC)

If you have other questions e-mail me

Collapse -

Networking

Collapse -

Networking

by bpalmer In reply to Networking

On NT you can also use terminal server, where you can even control what access each user has to the various applications or for larger networks look into citrix. Microsofts web site discusses both options..

Collapse -

Networking

Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums