General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Networking XP Pro Laptop with XP Home PC

by scott-adams ·

I have been beating my head on this all day. My home desktop has Windows XP Home, as I had no need for Pro at home. Now, I want to share files between my home desktop and my laptop — which has XP Professional.

I can access the laptop from the desktop and view/get files.

I can ping the desktop from the laptop by IP.
    I CANNOT ping the desktop from the laptop by name.

Also, when I search for computers on the network by IP, my laptop does not see the home desktop.

Basically, I seem to be having a problem with name resolution from the laptop (PRO) to the desktop(HOME).

Any thoughts?

Best!
    Scott

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

GOT IT!

by scott-adams ·

In reply to Networking XP Pro Laptop with XP Home PC

I finally found it. I needed to go into the Admin Tools>>Local Security Settings>>Local Policies>>Security Settings and set Network Settings: Sharing and Security Model to CLASSIC. Then everything appeared.

XP Home was designed to [i]not[/i] fully support file sharing.

by deepsand ·

In reply to Networking XP Pro Laptop with XP Home PC

Oh, it will easily grab a share to another machine; but, it will not, by design, allow others to share its files quickly and gracefully. This owes to the fact that XP Home was not targeted to those on a LAN, but rather to standalone machines.

It is possible to get XP Home to play nice with other machines, but it’s not exactly straight forward. For a start, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

Viewing 1 reply thread