General discussion

New IT Department

By whitecat ·
I have been hired as the first permanent IT guy for my current employer (local government). Prior to this I worked for a local IT company that supported my current employer. We handled such things as hardware/software installs, IT purchase consulting, and basice help desk issues. The city decided that they where calling me in so much that they where basically paying for a full time technician so they created a network support technician position and asked me to apply.

Now I am the IT department. I was basically hired and told, ok, the network is all yours. I have spent the last year just cleaning everything up systems and licensing issues and am now working on a strategic plan. The problem is that I have no idea where to go from here and have nothing to build on.

Does anyone know of any good resources on getting an IT department up and going for the first time? I can't find anything anywhere on the internet and I am basically starting from scratch here. I think I am doing ok so far, but I really don't have anything to bench mark on.

We are a small, rapidly growing city (a little over 30 users, possibly 100 plus in about 3 years) and I report directly to the city administrator. Any help would be appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Get thye Security Sorted at least! :-)

by rogercool In reply to New IT Department

You have a big job ahead I see. Make sure that your network is at least secured and a managed antivirus service put in to make sure that you are protected without having to worry about it yourself. Try www.trvprotect.com - ideal for that size of company - they can help with other IT stuff too such as mail systems etc. I can put you in contcat with them if you like?

Good luck

Roger

Collapse -

Got Security Covered

by whitecat In reply to Get thye Security Sorted ...

Fortunatley, security was one of the things that my former emplyer was responsible for, so I have had that covered for a while (centraly managed antivirus, physical firewall and physical spam firewall, working on policies as we speak). I guess never being part of an "official" IT department has me wondering if I am covering all of my bases and manageing my time properly.

Collapse -

start thinking like a CTO

by gpstreet In reply to Got Security Covered

congratulations on proving your technical skills and
winning the full time job. Now it is your chance to show
that you have got what it takes to be a CTO.
Now a CTO is not just a technical head, he is also in
charge of aligning technical deliverables with the
business.
As a CTO you must begin to realise that the business
drives IT. As a techy you always thought the technology
drove the business right ? Wrong!
As a system auditor you wouldnt believe how many times I
have seen a system or software project in place without
the propoer backing of the busines.

Your first step must be to understnd the needs of the
business. What will faciliate the end users ? Maybe begin
with what pisses them off the most. Try to clear those
issues up and they will love you.
It is a better step than to instigate a new system.

One last point, you must find a sponsor for the ideas you
want to put in place.

If you want to know more drop me a line at
gpstreet @ hotmail.com

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums