General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

New motherboard and display problem

by josray ·

I have changed the mother board of a PC and used the old processor. When I booted up i found out that I had no display.
    Can anyone help please?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Motherboard/ Processor???

by rojumail ·

In reply to New motherboard and display problem

Hi,

Can you tell what exactly is the processor and new MotherBoard which you are using??? Are you using any extra display driver card?

New MB is ASROCK and display is same old one on previous MB

by josray ·

In reply to Motherboard/ Processor???

ASROCK Model K7S41GX and Display Card is
        MX(400) 64MB AGPVA.
        Old MB Model Gigabyte A-7ZXE

Start with the power supply

by mjd420nova ·

In reply to New MB is ASROCK and display is same old one on previous MB

First verify if the P/S is working. If it won’t or tries but can’t, then look for a short somewhere. Too often when replacing a motherboard, you can overlook some small insulating washers on the underside of the board. Sometimes they are glued to the board and sometimes to the stand off. Try to isolate from ground until you can verify.

Clear CMOS and CPU

by thechas ·

1 make sure that the Clear CMOS jumper is not set to the Clear position. Often, motherboards are shipped with the jumper on clear and do not boot.

2 make sure that the motherboard supports your older CPU. If the motherboard does not support the correct Front Side Bus speed, the CPU cannot get the correct speed and will not run.

3 what about RAM? Did you use your old RAM? Is it speed appropriate for the CPU and motherboard combination?

4 your older video card is AGP 2X / 4X it may not work with the 8X / 4X 1.5 volt slot on the new motherboard.

If the system appears to POST, but you get no video, it may be using the on-board video.

You may need to enter BIOS setup and change the default display adapter.

Chas

Got Your Message

by thechas ·

I got your message.

Most motherboard manufactures have lists of what CPUs are supported on their motherboards.

There should also be some reference as to what CPUs are supported in the manual for the motherboard.

You might also try booting up with out your video card, and your monitor connected to the on board video.

Chas

Please help

by josray ·

In reply to Got Your Message

Inno 3D Tornado Geforce2 MX (400) AGP
          Can you please help with a problem I am encountering?

I am using the above AGP on a new mother board Model AMD K7S41GX, is this possible or the two does not match?

When I booted up the PC, no display came up.

Check Jumpers

by thechas ·

In reply to Please help

Verify which specific AMD processor you are using. Per the ASRock web site, this motherboard supports processors from 900 MHz and up. A slower CPU may not function.

There are jumpers on the motherboard that need to be set for the Front Side Bus speed of the processor. See page 14 of the users manual.

Your RAM needs to be at least fast enough for the FSB speed set for the CPU.

I recommend that you start with using the on-board video. Once you have everything else working, you can then try your video card.

Chas

Blue screen

by josray ·

In reply to Check Jumpers

Hi Chas,
          FSB jumpers changed and managed to get display, but after the begining of POST, I am getting a blue screen with the following error:
          0x0000007B (0xF7911640, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000).
          I tried booting up in safe mode but no luck.

Please help Boot up problems

by josray ·

In reply to Blue screen

I was getting a blue screen with the following error:
          0x0000007B (0xF7911640, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000).
          I tried booting up in safe mode but no luck. I have just installed a new M. Board ASRock Model AMD K7S41GX, New DDR RAM 512Mb and using a processor which was on a different M Board Gigabyte Model A-7ZXE. Please can you help?????

I have replaced the HDD with a new one with OS installed on it but when windows nearly comes up, pc reboots its self automaticaly. any idea y this is happening pls????

Processor

by rojumail ·

In reply to Blue screen

What is the processor which you are using now?

Latest Message

by thechas ·

In reply to Got Your Message

Got your latest message.

The TR forums are not limited in the number of postings. They are limited to a fixed number of branches under each main post.

That is why I posted this to an earlier post so that we can have some more levels of posting.

Anyhow, Windows XP does not take well to having an existing installation moved to new hardware. The most likely cause of both the blue screen error message and the reboot is that the hardware on your new motherboard is different enough from the old motherboard that as the drivers for the old hardware are being loaded, they cause critical errors to be generated.

Do you have your XP CD?

What you need to do, is perform a repair installation of XP. Also referred to as an in-place upgrade.

What you do, is boot from the XP CD and follow the prompts to install XP. You will reach a point in the installation process where the installer will ask if you want to repair the existing installation, or replace the existing installation.

Choose the repair option.

NOTE: this may not work if the XP CD is of a different service pack level than your installation. That is, if your CD is for XP Service Pack 1, and you have Service Pack 2 installed, the repair option usually does not work.

What you need in the case of different service pack levels, is a “slip-streamed” installation CD.

Chas

Viewing 0 reply threads