General discussion

Non-printing character in MS Word table [2003]

By bevg ·
I just discovered a cool thing in Word. I don't know if it will apply in all versions, so I'll say it's 2003.
I have long been irritated by the funny little non-printing characters that sometimes appear in Word tables. It appears as an empty rectangle, at the end of a cell. Today for instance, it happened when I selected several cells and converted hyperlinks to plain text.
What I discovered was entirely by accident--I wanted to delete all paragraph marks or manual line breaks prior to copying the table into Excel (don't ask why--I have this continuing love-hate relationship; love some things that each programs does, but repeatedly find I need a feature from the other program even though I prefer to keep my file principally in one or the other).
To get rid of all the breaks, I replaced all the ^p (paragraph marks), all the ^l (manual line breaks), and then to make extra sure, I replaced all the ^13 (line feed, I think is what it's called).
When I did the ^13 replacement, I saw it take away all the non-printing little empty rectangles. Woo-hoooo!!
I know this is minor, but I don't like crap cluttering up my screen. [P.S. If you don't already know, in copying Word tables to Excel, it breaks a cell from Word into multiple Excel cells, at every line break or paragraph mark.]

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

0 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Back to Peripheral Forum
0 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums