General discussion

Novell 4.11 Installation

By martinicolleeni ·
I am trying to install Netware 4.11 on a 400mhz box with no O/S I am using the first disk of Dos 6.22 to fdisk and make my 15mb primary partition and set it active. Anyway I am skipping some of the other details. Once I get the install to start, when I get to the point where you choose simple or custom setup. I press enter and I get a message that says there is know partition let alone an active one. But really there is. Anyway it gives the option of going on with the install, so I go on, the files start copying to the hard disk. When they complete Server.exe starts and I get a screen that says please wait looking for drivers. Well it is really locked up. If I go into the system console it says my server has abended: The message said the cpu encountered a problem in code and the Install.nlm. I tried going back and making my partition as large as I could and making it active. All this did was give me another message during Install that said my partition was only 11mb and it needed to be 15mb The partition

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

17 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Novell 4.11 Installation

by rmacbeth In reply to Novell 4.11 Installation

First of all 15meg is not big enought. You should start with aCLEAN DRIVE NOT PARTITIONED OR FOMATED. You then make a 50 meg partiton. (you will need this for loading all the files needed for running the server. this includes service packs that you will apply). Then format the 50 meg with the /s swich and then reboot the server and add your CD rom drivers make shure your config.sys only has files (24) and buffers (30) settings and driver for the CD rom. No memory management. Then you can load 4.11. by running install from the CD. This should do it for you.

Collapse -

Novell 4.11 Installation

by martinicolleeni In reply to Novell 4.11 Installation

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Novell 4.11 Installation

by wbaltas In reply to Novell 4.11 Installation

Along with the other answer to this question, be sure to make the partition active, and verify that you have at least 90MB of unpartitioned space on this drive (option #4 on the fdisk main menu). You will need a minimum of 90MB of unpartitioned space on the drive for the the NetWare partition. NetWare will put the SYS volume (minimum size 90MB) and any other volumes you need on this partition.

Good Luck,
Bill

Collapse -

Novell 4.11 Installation

Collapse -

Novell 4.11 Installation

by rdavenport In reply to Novell 4.11 Installation

First off you dont mention how big the HD is I am assuming that it is at least big enough to make the dos partition at least 100 MB the default of 15 mb is not enough for 4.11 try making the partition larger. It will not harm a thing and make sure you do not load a config.sys or it will abend.

Collapse -

Novell 4.11 Installation

Collapse -

Novell 4.11 Installation

by prompt In reply to Novell 4.11 Installation

I?m agreeing to what the others said about diskspace - but shouldn?t it be larger? Aren?t the sevicepacks installing and updating the SYS: volume...

We have 1GB SYS: Volume, and we have used about 368 MB with SP-8 installed.

Please come back with some info on this..

Regards // Ola Brunkestam

Collapse -

Novell 4.11 Installation

Collapse -

Novell 4.11 Installation

by Erekose MCNE In reply to Novell 4.11 Installation

Since you have left out details, I will try my best. Try to make a DOS primary partition on the drive equal at least to RAM installed. I hope you have at least 16MB RAM. Only format the part that you need. Don't forget that FDISK doesn't make the partition active if it is less than the full disk size partitioned (DOS)Remember Novell will set up the rest of the drive partitions and take care of the rest. All you need is to put DOS on there and the cd rom drivers.Remember no dos high or umb commands or emm386 commands. This is novell!

Collapse -

Novell 4.11 Installation

Back to Networks Forum
17 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Hardware Forums