General discussion

Novell 4.x and ArcServe 6.10

By sbutts ·
Our vendor recently applied Service Pack 7 to our Novell 4.x server. I am running ArcServe 6.10 backup software with Service Pack 2. My backups are now taking 20 - 24 hours. They used to take 4 hours. I have had the SP7 backed off, deleted and reinstalled ArcServe, nothing seems to work. Does anybody have any suggestions. I tried something different every night but have nothing fixes it. HELP!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

17 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TTate In reply to Novell 4.x and ArcServe 6 ...

Are you SURE sp7 was backed out fully? Sometimes the SERVER.EXE file is patched and you have to manually rename the SERVER.OLD file to SERVER.EXE. Do you have other servers that have not been patched to sp7? Can you compare files in the SYS:SYSTEM and C:\NWSERVER directories between the two servers? More than likely there is a "patched" file still sitting out there and getting loaded.

Are your tapes good? Has your backup cable come loose? Does ArcServe give any error messages?

Good luck!

Collapse -

by sbutts In reply to Novell 4.x and ArcServe 6 ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by mkelley In reply to Novell 4.x and ArcServe 6 ...

You might try doing some purging on your arcserve database, also, make sure you reset the archive bit on your backup jobs.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by gregc In reply to Novell 4.x and ArcServe 6 ...

I would also check the C: drive for and .old copy of server.exe and rename that file back to server.exe . Here is another thought, get the latests drivers for your LAN cards and your SCSI card and and other drivers and apply them. Also look at Novell's TID# 2937318 and see if it can help you out. Is this server in a tree by itself? Or is it part of a tree? If it is part of a tree you should upgrade the DS on all your servers, starting with the root. Hope this helps.

Greg

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Shanghai Sam In reply to Novell 4.x and ArcServe 6 ...

Try setting the Arcserve Backup "Options/File Options" to Deny None/No Retries, you may be retrying unavailable files (user held, or Novell attribute damaged) - the Arcserve default is 5 retries, and your increase in backup time reflects some bakcups that I've fixed that way.... It is important to check through the Backup Logs to determine which files and directory areas are irritating the backup - you typically must copy them out to another server or directory, delete the original files anddirectories, then copy them all back and reapply the permissions. With all that done a DSRepair and Vrepair is in order!

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by mikewaldrop In reply to Novell 4.x and ArcServe 6 ...

Do you have all of the Arcserve patches? Arcserve recently released a patch for 6.1 that signifigantly improved performance. I would download all of the arcserve patches and install them on your backup server and try it again. If the performance is better re-install SP7 and see what happens.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Back to Networks Forum
17 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Hardware Forums