General discussion

Novell Client 4.83 SP2

By Brian ·
I have a application that runs slow with Novell client 4.83 sp2. I was womdering if file caching would help if it was turned on at the Server level and workstation level. Any help would be appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Novell Client 4.83 SP2

by pgm554 In reply to Novell Client 4.83 SP2

That depends on the app.There are 2 types of file locking mechanisms, opportunistic and pessimistic locking .
Opportunistic is cool for word processing and spread sheets(only one person),while pessimistic is used when more than one person accesses a database.If you are the only one accessing a database,then client side file cache will help speed things up.

There is a post sp2 fix for your issue :

327456a.exe at Novells web site.

Just remember this,Novell has been trying to fix this one for years with mixed results,so buyer beware.

Collapse -

Novell Client 4.83 SP2

by pgm554 In reply to Novell Client 4.83 SP2

One other thing,depending on the OS(5.1 or 6),the service packs either adds the statement:

Set Client File Caching Enabled = OFF

or takes it away.

Be very wary of your services pack revision levels
and the filesys.nlm version.Both of these can hang your server with high utilization problems when using clint side file caching.

If you are using an Access database include the statement:

set maximum record locks per connection =10000

Collapse -

Novell Client 4.83 SP2

by WanabeDrSean In reply to Novell Client 4.83 SP2

Actualy there is a known oplock or operational locking issue with netware and nt/2000 clients.
You should turn off all caching also if you have netware 6.0 apply service pack 3 if you havent already. next you can also shut off all client file caching by typing set ncp client file caching = off or something real close to that I havent had to actuly do it in a couple of months.
but if you search along those lines you will find a wealth of information on operational locking problems. the only other thing that might cause slow file access is a corrupt nss database if you use nss volumes If you want to acess data bases from a netware volume dont use nss volumes. if you need further help or have another question feel free to email me.

Collapse -

by dragon_45 In reply to Novell Client 4.83 SP2

Try out Client 4.9. You will see a improvement. It certain helped us. You will need to check it out before installing a bunch. Often you can run into problems if you have special needs.

Good Luck
Richard F. Bolha

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)