General discussion

NT 4.0 Srvr Instl, 36 Gig shows as 1024M

By howard ·
Setting up new NT 4.0 Server, Running install from floppies. Installing driver for Adaptec Ultra160 controller. Have 2 IBM Ultra160 36Gig drives installed. When setup comes up to select a partition, all spaces shows as unused, but drive 0 shows up as 1024Meg and drive 1 shows up as 36 gig. How do I get at least a 2 gig boot partition??

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to NT 4.0 Srvr Instl, 36 Gig ...

Update the bios in the CMOS Control Panel,then you will want to enable large disk support.
Also you may want to research thriugh the techrepublic questions at the beginning of the month a similar question was posted and it may be that you can use some of the info from answer.

Collapse -

by howard In reply to NT 4.0 Srvr Instl, 36 Gig ...

Very new Bios, large drive support IS enabled.

Collapse -

by avachon In reply to NT 4.0 Srvr Instl, 36 Gig ...

Hi, since nt4.0 has to be installed on a fat 16 partition you can go ahead and complete your installation with 1GB and then convert your boot partition to ntfs. Then go into disk administrator under admin tools and enlarge the boot partition to the size you want. Then, go ahead and set up the other partitions as ntfs so you don't have any limnitations (to speak of) on that drive. You should however, be able to at least create a boot drive of 2GB (2048mb); you'll always get the message about the1024 limit when installing. Hope this helps.

Collapse -

You use the convert.exe command at the command prompt to do the conversion from fat to ntfs. Once a partition is converted to ntfs it cannot be converted back to fat without reformatting. If you are running DOS as well, your system partition could be fairly small and then the boot partition any size you want after the conversion to ntfs.

Collapse -

Hi, in my previous comment I said that you cannot convert from ntfs to fat. This is true insofar as nt is concerned. You could, however, use a 3rd party utility such as partition magic (or server magic if the OS is nt server). This utility allows you to change partition sizes on the fly and to make file concersions (fat, ntfs, fat32, etc.). A full backup should be done before using such a utility . . .just in case. . .

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Macgyver.Hicks In reply to NT 4.0 Srvr Instl, 36 Gig ...

Hi Howard,
I had a similar problem in setting up a multi-boot system on a 20GB HDD. For WinNT, I had to set all of the partitions less than the 1024 cylinders to get it to load. I used Partition Magic 5.0 from a separate partition for this. However, there is a way you can do this without another OS, getting Partition Magic is necesary for this.
Start with only one HDD connected. Use FDISK to set an Active FAT partition about 1GB and install WinNT, the SP that you have(put in SP5.5),and PM. Open PM and use the Convert option to change from FAT(16) to NTFS, then expand the partition to the entire drive(This will reqire a reboot to complete). After that drive is complete, shut-down the system and connect the other HDD. When you start up, WinNT and PM should recognize the new drive. Again, use PM to convert the drive to ntfs or format it as needed.
I hope this helps.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums