General discussion

NW4.11, Backup causes write errors....

By drallen@povertysolutions ·
One night a bit back our NW4.11 server froze during backup. Not a problem, came in the next day down and restarted the server, no problem. Ever since then however I've been unable to get a backup process to run. What happens is that the backup process starts(in this case Arcserve 6.1), it gives an FAT error writing to the Arcserver activity log file. The message is Failed to Open Activity Log, <SERVERNAME>/SYS:Arcserve.6\arch$svr.log. It keeps attempting to access to activity log every few seconds... which of course means no one else is logging in while the server 'sits and spins'. It eventually fails to write to the directory and dismounts the SYS volume. Upon restart I'm able to go into Arcserve management and view the activity log no problem. I really hoped that the Vrepair would resolve the issue but it hasn't. Vrepair ran for a VERY long time and found/repaired alot of errors. I haven't run a DSRepair since I ran the Vrepair(did run one way back at the start of this problem). At first I thought the problem was local to Arcserve, possibly some corruption but even starting SBACKUP which is the builtin Novell backup software I get the same types of errors writing to the SYS volume. Users are not experiencing any problem writing/reading from their directories on the SYS volume, there are no other issues happening the server seems stable in every other way, but the longer we go without a backup the more concerned I am.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Alpha-Male In reply to NW4.11, Backup causes wri ...

Here is what I found from your error message:

ARCSERVE.NLM was unable to open the Activity Log file to insert a new message. This is due to one or more of the following:

The ARCserve volume has run out of disk space.

The account being used to access the file does not have the appropriate rights.

The path to the Activity Log is incorrect, or the file does not exist.

Some other process (i.e.: a text editor) has the Activity Log file in an open state.

The ARCserve installation has been manually moved to a different location without reinstalling the software. The hidden file, \PUBLIC\ARCSERVE.HOM will still point to the original location of the ARCserve program.

Possible Resolutions:

Use NDIR to see if the server volume is out of disk space. Also use Novell's DSPACE utility to see if there are space restrictions being used.

Use NWADMIN or NETADMIN to ensure that the proper rights have been assigned to the ARCserve user.
Check the ARCserve Home Directory (i.e.-SYS:\ARCSERVE) to ensure that the file is there. It is called ARCH$SVR.LOG.

Verify that no other programs or processes have the ARCH$SVR.LOG file in an open and/or locked state.

Verify that the ARCserve user (CHEY_ARCHSVR) has Directory Trustee Assignments to the ARCserve Home Directory.

If the ARCserve program has been moved/copied to another location on the file server, or to a new file server, the program must be REINSTALLED to the new location to recreate the ARCSERVE.HOM file with the new information.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by deroode In reply to NW4.11, Backup causes wri ...

In addition to AlphaMale: Try again to do a vrepair on the volume. Run a Dsrepair, Advanced Options, Check volume objects and trustees.
Try to copy the arch$svr.log to a different volume, then delete it from sys.
Try to remove the complete Arcserve directory and reinstall.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums