General discussion

Odd WINS behavior after reinstalling NT

By jonathanv_00 ·
Many things going on here, so I'll try to be concise and supply more info as needed. This is all on three domains with NT 4.0/SP4, mainly Win98 clients except for my machine, an NT WKST.

Basically, it seems that my server is not registering itself, or the domain, with WINS. (I've uninstalled WINS, reapplied the SP, reinstalled WINS, and reapplied the SP AGAIN.) When I reboot my NT Workstation (4.0/SP4), it tells me there's no logon server available. When I try to map drives on another server by name, it tells me the path can't be found. I can map the drives (and ping, etc.) by IP address, however. If I try to look at this domain in Network Neighborhood from the other machine, I can see it, but I get a "no logon server available" errorwhen I try to map a drive by name.

Oddly, in the WINS database, it doesn't show the domain mapping under the WINS server, but under my machine, the NT workstation, instead. And here's a funny message that I got after (re)installing NT and recreating the account for

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by calves In reply to Odd WINS behavior after r ...

I noticed you got cutoff. But basically, what you want to do is unistall WINS, delete the WINS folder under WINNT, apply SP, install WINS (you'll then get a error message that the installation can't find a certain folder, just go into the new WINS folder and create the needed folder manually), re-apply SP. Add all the statics, and allow it a little time for it re-populate itself.

Good Luck!

Collapse -

by jonathanv_00 In reply to Odd WINS behavior after r ...

Thanks for helping me out twice in the space of a week, calves. I had uninstalled, etc., once, but only deleted the backup of the database, not the db itself. And if you've been waiting to see how the story turned out, here's the rest of the original question that got cut off:

. . . for my machine (SMINFOFF): "The computer SMINFOFF tried to connect to the server MEC using the trust relationship established by the MCGUIRE domain. However, the computer lost the correct security identifier (SID) when the domain was reconfigured. Reestablish the trust relationship." This strikes me as strange -- SMINFOFF is in that domain; why would it need a trust? It's a workstation!

I can still see the third domain by name and path OK from the other two domains. I'm pretty stumped. Thanks in advance, and I'll try to provide more info (like, how I reinstalled NT) in responses to answers.

Collapse -

by garetjax In reply to Odd WINS behavior after r ...

Jonathan -

Try removing the NT workstation from the domain and then adding it back. Also consider upgrading your NT server to SP5 or SP6a. Sp5 included a number of fixes for WINS, DHCP and DNS issues.

Good luck...

Collapse -

by jonathanv_00 In reply to Odd WINS behavior after r ...

Good call, garetjax -- I don't work much with Workstation, and forget you have to make them behave by adding them to a domain. I'm sure that was part of the problem, as I didn't do that the first time I recreated the domain and accounts. Thanks.

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Operating Systems Forums