General discussion

Office 2000 Updates

By richard.walker3 ·
I resently attempted to update my Office 2000 products and the updates for Word, Excel, and Access all required the original install disks(which I have). The problem is that all gave me the same error claiming that they could not find the original MSI files for the programs. I checked the disks and they are clearly there on the cds. I then found the same updates that stated that they didn't need the original files but this failed again by asking for the original cds again and then telling me that the files on the cd were not legitimate MSI files. Has anyone seen this before and how can you get the programs updated?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by matherg In reply to Office 2000 Updates

Had the same problem a few times, usually the result of a bad CD or bad drive itself. As a work around, try copying the contents of the CD into a folder on your desktop and point to it during the updates, then delete it when you are done.
Hope this works for you as well.

Collapse -

by pierrejamme In reply to Office 2000 Updates

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows Installer.
One thing that will mess you up with msi is if you add a drive and your CD changes, say to E:\ (I always mae my new computer CD drive M:\ before installing anything and CDR's r:\. That way 2nd hard drives or USB/Zip drives don't mess me up later).
Or your installer got messed up, download a fresh version for W2k or NT at:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q17632447
Out of luck if you have XP,M$ isn't offering one yet.
You mioght also try re-installing an the go to updates. Or you could dowload the service packs you want at:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?R271254A9
PS make sure yopu have administrator rights before trying the updates.
Good Luck,
Peter

Back to Software Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)