General discussion

Omnibook 6000 BIOS Password Reset

By tony.burke ·
Hi, I need to reset the BIOS password on an HP Omnibook 6000 laptop. Has anyone done this on this model of laptop. Are there motherboard jumpers? I understand disconnecting the CMOS battery will not work!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to Omnibook 6000 BIOS Passwo ...

You have at least three options.

1). Take out the CMOS battery if you can.
I have seen one of the latest laptops of which CMOS got reset after the CMOS battery (not the laptop battery) was taken out for 30 minutes.

2). Use a DOS command Debug to reset the CMOS.

Go to

http://tinyurl.com/pa1x

and click on CLEAR CMOS to get the procedure.

If your laptop is set to boot from the hard drive first, this option will not work. If it boots from Floppy, use a Windows 98 Startup disk. Make sure there is Debug command. If it boots from CD-ROM but not from Floppy, you need to make a bootable Windows 98 Startup from the CD-ROM. Most of the CD-RW software has an option to make a CD bootable.
I used this process to on the laptop of 1) and it worked.

3). Take your laptop to a HP authorized service center. Make sure you bring the invoice or some document that proves you are the rightful owner.

Collapse -

by wlbowers In reply to Omnibook 6000 BIOS Passwo ...

A lot of the latest laptops are using a security chip to store the password in.

You can call tech support and provide them with proof of purchase and they will help you reset it.

Unless someone has found a crack there are services that will replace the chip or sell you one to do it your self.

The latter requires taking it apart and taking a solder iron to the motherboard.

Read about it here:
http://www.pwcrack.com/security_chips_hp.shtml

Remove spaces that might appear.

Good Luck Lee

Back to Hardware Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)