General discussion

Outlook 2000

By NewComputerAdmin ·
Our server was just replaced with a new Dell one with 2000 as the operating system. Our company uses Outlook for more than e-mail. They use the feature where you can schedule meetings and send invitations or just check other people's availability for meetings and even send tasks and contacts to each other. The problem according to our computer guys is that server 2000 does not support the protocol that outlook uses for these features. Any new user has to be set up with an internet mail account and cannot use the local office email. Does anyone know how this can be fixed, if it can be fixed, or any good suggestions for a replacement for outlook that has all of these features?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Outlook 2000

by suemvp In reply to Outlook 2000

1) What kind of mail server is it?
2) The answer to #1 actually shouldn't matter. Whatever the server, Outlook should be able to handle meeting requests -- UNLESS the server strips rich-text content from messages.

Collapse -

Outlook 2000

by NewComputerAdmin In reply to Outlook 2000

I don't know how to check to see if this strips rich-text format, only that we cannot set up local accounts on our workstations because of the 2000 windows server. There is no exchange server involved. We do not have a mail server, I don't think.We still have the same internet mail company we had before, the only change was from a netware server to a windows 2000 server. Thank you for your response. You both helped, but I still don't have my answer. Part of that is problem, I don't know all the information either. I was just thrown into all of this after it was finished and haven't even learned about the 2000 server yet.

Collapse -

Outlook 2000

by NTOz In reply to Outlook 2000

Server 2000, or perhaps you mean Windows 2000 with Exchange 5.5 or Exchange 2000 on it, does support calendaring and contacts etc. Im not sure what your admin means when he says it doesnt support the protocol. I may need more information, like what version of outlook do you use, what version of Exchange Server do you have, in order to better answer this for you, please email me with the answers and I can tell you what to do.

Pete

Collapse -

Outlook 2000

Additionaly if you dont use exchange server for your email, what server package are you using? Was this also an upgrade from 5.5 to 2000 exchange?

Pete

Collapse -

Outlook 2000

I have emailed you with the additional information, but basically, the way I understand it, we have outlook 2000 running on the workstations. The users that were migrated to the windows 2000 server from netware have the local email, but we are toldfrom our techs that the new server does not support the protocol that outlook 2000 uses for "local" email so new users cannot use it. I have been unsuccessful in trying to copy existing user's profiles for a new user too. Being a small company that owner said that buying exchange was too expensive so he didn't get it. We have the same internet email provider (XO I think) that they have always had, but when you try to set up the local mail protocol (MS Mail?) on the workstations, outlook willnot open and supposedly that is because the server will not support it.

Collapse -

Outlook 2000

I hope I was able to clear up some questions you had with this question and you better understand the reasons why this is not working today.

Pete

Collapse -

Outlook 2000

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -

Outlook 2000

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)