General discussion

Outlook 2000 Attachment Problem

By jdbjoatmon ·
I have two users out of about 50 that are using Outlook 2000 SR-1 9.0.0.3821 as their email client and send email via a POP3 account. When they send an attachment such as a .pdf (or sometimes .doc or .xls) to multiple recipients, some recipients cannot read the attachment because it is corrupted. Resending the email to these users produces the same result. I have been able to send the same attachment to these recipients using Netscape 4.67 and they can open them successfully. One user has his email format set at HTML and the other at Plain Text. We cannot duplicate the problem in-house. I also know that one of the recipients is using Outlook 2000 SR-1 9.0.0.5414 on Microsoft Exchange Server as his client.

When one of the affected recipients forwared the message with the corrupt file (a .pdf) back to us,we saved the attachment and then looked at it with Wordpad. It had none of the .pdf formating or control strings in it. It was only alpha-numeric characters.

I would cetainly appreciate any help with this problem. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Outlook 2000 Attachment P ...

Right of the top of my head, the fact that the attachment IS getting through to some recipients would indicate to me that the problem is PROBABLY not on your end.

Is it always the same recipients that have the problem?

Resending the attachmentsuccessfully, using a different email client doesn't prove anything other than the problem isn't the original file attached.

Resending the original email that initially failed, also won't point to the problem. 9 out of 10 times, the problem that caused the initial email to fail is still there. To get around this, create a new email addressed to the problem recipients only; reattach the file and resend.

Corruption does happen sometimes. Mismatches between the format in which the attachment was sent and the settings of the recipient can also cause problems.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

by jdbjoatmon In reply to Outlook 2000 Attachment P ...

The answer is appreciated, but the recipients we are working with say they receive and open attachments from other sources successfully. The problem seems localized to these two O/L 2000 users.

Collapse -

by jboardman In reply to Outlook 2000 Attachment P ...

Try zipping the file. Many times problems are solved by shelling the file, and it has the added bonus of saving space and bandwidth.

Collapse -

Thanks also for that answer, but in a business application, this does not seem to be a workable solution. We upgraded the users to Outlook XP and this solved the problem.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Software Forums