General discussion

Outlook 2000 has problems with big attac

By Shanghai Sam ·
My OL2000 (on Win98) is frozen when some of my emails has attachments with a size bigger than, let's say, 600Kb.
I've contacted my ISP and they told me it's a known problem with all Outlook versions.
I don't want another email-client, but this is very annoying.
Does someone know a solution or a workaround?
Thanx!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by GAIke. In reply to Outlook 2000 has problems ...

Outlook does not have problems with files larger than 600KB ! Sometimes we send files of 10 MB, but we have a direct line. If you go throug an ISP, most of the time the problem is the router of the ISP.
A possible workaround solution is the following :
You can use a program like winzip to :
1. compress your files (even in an executable, so the other person doesn't need winzip). The file size can be reduced to 1/5 of the original size !
2. You can cut a file in multiple files
You can findwinzip onseveral download sites !!! You can TEST it for free !!!
Greetings.

Collapse -

by shjacks In reply to Outlook 2000 has problems ...

Outlook Express 4 has an option in Account/properties/advanced to "break apart messages larger than...". Should be similar option in OL2000. Although MSN claims 2MB cap on mail, I've seen it chop up smaller messages. Honestly its never frozen my machine.If this is a 56k modem, try setting it to max 33.6. What will freeze it is winmodem drivers with minimum P166 requirement running on a P200 with a ton of stuff in the startup groups (you do have office2000?). Have you run DrWatson before the freeze?

Collapse -

by mbarker734 In reply to Outlook 2000 has problems ...

Due to the age of your question you may not get futher responces. If you still require help I suggest you close out this question and repost another.

Collapse -

your ISP is full of crap, who are you using, Earthlink? anyways, one thing that helps that is if you have two lines and can multilink it, that way, you typically always have at least one good session,
there's nothing wrong with Outlook, except it'smade by Microsoft, no big deal...
you definately should also break them apart,
Good Luck,

Collapse -

by James_Randy In reply to Outlook 2000 has problems ...

Yes, there's a way to fix that problem.

Collapse -

by James_Randy In reply to Outlook 2000 has problems ...

Yes, there's a way to fix that particular problem.

Collapse -

by Conrad In reply to Outlook 2000 has problems ...

All search is vain, until we begin to perceive that wisdom is within ourselves ? then we may know the sun is rising, that the morning is breaking for us.

--Vivekananda

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to Outlook 2000 has problems ...

Greetings,

Without knowing the particulars on your mail server, or the limits that may be placed by the mail server, any answer is a "best guess". Many mail and news servers limit the size of the messages you can receive and send. This limit maybe one megabyte (1 MB) per message, including all attached files, it may be more. Your mail server properties (or your ISP) could provide you with that information, and possible be changed accordingly.

If you can't get the mail server information, the following may be a "work-around".

With Outlook Express you can send large messages or files to mail and news servers that have size limits by breaking the messages into smaller ones. When the group of messages is received, the mail programrecombines them into one message.

On the Tools menu, click Accounts.

On either the Mail or News tab, click Properties.

On the Advanced tab, select the Break apart messages larger than x KB check box and then enter the maximum file size the server will allow.

Good luck,

Maxwell

Collapse -

by jereg In reply to Outlook 2000 has problems ...
Back to Software Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Software Forums