General discussion

Outlook 2000 problem

By pedro.flores ·
When a user opens her outlook, this message appears "The name could not be matched to a name in the address list". Once she clicks OK, an Exchange settings window will appear with the server name filled in correctly and the user name field filled with *Unknown*. If I erase that, type in the user's name, and click check name, it will underline it. I will click OK and it lets me in to her mailbox. She has to do this every time she clicks on the Outlook icon. I've checked the Mail settings within Control Panel, make some changes to see if it works but it never stays. I tried logging in to that workstation to check my email and it works for me and at least 1 other person. Any ideas on what else I can do to fix this? Unfortunately, the exchange server is managed at another location and I don't have access to it.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Outlook 2000 problem

Recreate the user's profile and check they have enough rights on the local workstation to modify it.

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Outlook 2000 problem

See the following Microsoft KB article
This article was previously published under Q297801
SUMMARY
The article describes typical troubleshooting steps that you can use to determine the reason for following client error message:
The name could not be resolved. The name could not be matched to a name in the address list.
Note This article assumes that you are familiar with Ldp.exe.

Collapse -

by pedro.flores In reply to Outlook 2000 problem

I recreated the user's profile on Active Directory and I'm getting the same results. Checked rights and they are OK. I'm wondering if there is a conflict between Windows and Novell.

Collapse -

by mulliganm In reply to Outlook 2000 problem

I have to go with BFilmFan right now, unless you rebuild the profile this cannot be trobleshot any further, I would;

1. launch this the Control Panel Mail utility Before Outlook is started.

2. Remove the user profile

3. Close the Control Panel

4 Log back in

5. Start the Mail Control Utility

6. Add the server name

7. Enter only 3 letters of the Users last name

8. hit Check Name. Pick from the list (see if there is not possibly an old name that might be hidden from the Global List but in fact is still a valid profile

9. Are both underlined

10. Close Mail Control

11. Luanch Outlook ..

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)