General discussion

Outlook 2000 strange things going on

By zlitocook ·
My boss the IT manager did it again, he walks over to my desk and says my outlooks broken. He was going through his email the night before and deleting old emails. He said his outlook looked funny but did not think about it. Ok more then half of his folders are gone he had about 45 or 50 now there are around 20. Any email he had in his inbox after the letter M is gone, people with the first name after M. I checked his pst file and it's a little bigger then a gig. No error's in the event viewer, we have exchange 5.5 on server 2000 and no errors there. He has never archived, nothing in the deleted folder. I went through all his settings in outlook, he seems to do these things quite offten. I guess thats why he is my boss:) Any ideas

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by zlitocook In reply to Outlook 2000 strange thin ...

Sorry XP pro SP1 SP2 update no full install of SP2. 512 ram, office 2000 w/SP1 and updates. We have 25 of exactly the same computer with no problems. We have a T1 and all have 100mb nics, symantec hardware firewall and symantec antivirus. Webroot spyware protection and guards around the moat:) He has had other problems before but most were a few point and click to fix. This is a problem because he keeps important ebay bids on his computer haha but really he has all the company info saved in outlook. I tryed to get him to export every thing and save a copy but nope outlook was a safe place.

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Outlook 2000 strange thin ...

Some questions to help resolve this:

Is the PST corrupt?

Is there more than one PST on the system?

Have you ran an isinteg on the Exchange server?

Is Outlook set to clear out the Deleted Items folder upon exit? If so, could he have deleted the mail and then closed Outlook? The mail would definetely be gone in that case.

Collapse -

by zlitocook In reply to

I did run isinteg today it was no good, it did find two other nonrelated problems though. His pst is fine out look is the default setup, no no to delete upon exit. I have dug through the back up tapes and will copy out his pst from friday and reload it. But that still does not say what happened.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Outlook 2000 strange thin ...

maybe he is just noticing you look bored? in case you ARE bored, there is tons of info about fixing corruption like this at support.microsoft.com...
i am tickled if my boss asked me to help him fix a problem, especially one he might have caused...
well, from what i have seen and heard you are lucky it opened with anything in it...are you familiar with the office startup switches and have you played much with that kinda thing for troubleshooting and understanding office better...
maybe it got too big. or that extensive editing brought it to its knees. or he put too many folderss too deep. who knows? outlook strange product, if you ask me. way too west coast. ;>)
imho, it is not very robust, it is fragile database, breaks easy for lots of reasons. read all about it at support.microsoft.com. you say you used the inbox repair tool located on your 2nd office installation cd and no joy? then, you are probably right about just getting a backup now....but be ready for it to go down again maybe. see if it can get smaller or fixed up before you turn it loose on him? who else might be getting ready for a problem like this i wonder?
i have sucessfully fixed more than once the mail and the addresses (and other coorrupt db's) by poor man's corruption fix: export into tab delimited file, ditch old mailbox (or address book), create new one, import into new. maybe it will skip over the bad part and give you the rest. some tools and workarounds are available for this at support.microsoft.com. i think i remember tools to 'split' up and fix db's that got too large...seemed like they don't work too reliably tho. he needs to archive...i can't get my boss to archive either.

Collapse -

by zlitocook In reply to

I did use MSKB for problems like this and had two of their support and I use support lightly people call and walk me through the same things I did. If you know of a KB just like this one let me know! I can not get to MS site vary much I have too much to do to just read KB stuff if I do not need too.

Collapse -

by zlitocook In reply to Outlook 2000 strange thin ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)