Question

Outlook 2003"The operation failed. An object could not be found" error

By fadbel ·
You receive the "The operation failed. An object could not be found" error message when you attempt to CLOSE ARCHIVES that are open. This is similar to the same message received on clicking "Send/Receive" which requires building a new Outlook Profile.
I've tried that and it gets rid of the Archive folders BUT...it also wipes out ALL OF MY CUSTOMIZATION...RULES...ADDRESS BOOK...FORMAT OF FOLDERS, etc.
This is unacceptable! I've spent too much time getting this stuff set the way I want it.
Yes, I know I can IMPORT the address book and the rules but, it's the Folder Format and the Shortcuts to the folders plus some other niceties that I lose.
Can someone tell me what to look for in the "Object not found"? All I want to do is close Archive Folders.
I did an Archive consisting of almost 700 MB, yes, that's right, 700 MB of files and IT ATTACHED ITSELF RIGHT BACK TO OUTLOOK!
What good is archiving to reduce application size when you can't get rid of the archive from the app???
PLEASE GIVE ME SOME GOOD NEWS!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

32 total posts (Page 1 of 4)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

I have the same issue

by Alfisti164 In reply to Outlook 2003"The operatio ...

How annoying.

Collapse -

Looks like no one cares!!!???

by fadbel In reply to I have the same issue

Either that or this is a currently unsolvable one. This may be related to the message concerning "Source Files not found" when you try to do an update on some programs you've been running for years.
Currently, I'm waiting to get some aid from MS as an update to Office 2003 keeps failing (KB 919029).

Collapse -

Either that or this is a currently unsolvable one. This may be related to the message concerning "Source Files not found" when you try to do an update on some programs you've been running for years.
Currently, I'm waiting to get some aid from MS as an update to Office 2003 keeps failing (KB 919029).

Collapse -

Collapse -

Solution - use this with caution

by Tony Hogan In reply to Looks like no one cares!! ...

I've had similar issues in the past and found the only fix is to either:
1) create a new Profile that doesn't contain the problem folder
-or-
2) use regedit to remove the reference to it
Here's a rough outline of what to do (for the experienced user)
Close Outlook
Essentially start regedit and do a search for the folder name as displayed in Outlook - it will most likely be in a location similar to the following:
[HKEY_USERS\<user id identifier>\ Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\ Profiles\<profile name>\ <cryptic alphanumeric code>

Export the entire key where you find the PST folfer display name and then delete it
Close regedit

Restart Outlook - the folder should now be gone

-tony

Collapse -

A Valid method but, look at the names of the folders.

by fadbel In reply to Solution - use this with ...

I'm attempting to paste a small pic:
Looks like paste isn't an option here.
The problem is, the names of the folders that won't close are each one
"Archive Folders".

There are some other problems here as, I can't run "Detect & Repair" without getting "Sourcefile not found...". I can't run certain security updates to Office 2003 for the same reason.
No viruses are involved, nor malicious software. Something "stepped on" the Registry some time back and I can't find where. Microsoft Support can't suggest anything other than a "clean" install.
LAST, LAST, LAST RESORT!!!!
I'll try your method anyway if I can identify WHICH Archive folders are involved in the Registry. I'm a Pack-Rat. I DO keep Archives.

Collapse -

IT WORKED!

by bmeyering In reply to Solution - use this with ...

Tony,

Thanks for this great posting. My outlook client has been mucked up for over a year with some Archive Folders that were on a network share that is no longer available. I suspect this is way I couldn't close them in Outlook. Export the keys was easy and deleting them from the registry did the trick.

THANKS,

Collapse -

Unfortunately, not on my system!

by fadbel In reply to IT WORKED!

The only place in the registry that listed "Archive Folders" (the name of both Archives in Outlook 2003 that can't be closed) was in the scanned section of AVG Free Antivirus which I deleted and later (after deleting the registry entries) removed the program from my system.
Even after reboot, those Archives still cannot be closed or removed.
I feel that there is another underlying problem which is also affecting my system's ability to update, or run Detect & Repair which is why I am planning, with much pain, to rebuild my system from scratch.

I wish there existed a utility that could track the source of problems like this. I'm getting tired of purchasing so-called Ultimate Trouble-shooters; Registry Fixers; System Enhancers; et al.

Collapse -

USING REGEDIT TO REMOVE THE REFERENCE TO ARCHIVE FOLDERS

by keithharo In reply to Solution - use this with ...

hi Tony

I get as far as Windows Messaging Subsystem\profiles and then Im kind of stuck as I have a default and defaultprofile. whats the next step?

Keith

Collapse -

USING REGEDIT TO REMOVE THE REFERENCE TO ARCHIVE FOLDERS

by therockalike In reply to USING REGEDIT TO REMOVE T ...

I have the same problem. Please advise next step.

rocky

Back to Software Forum
32 total posts (Page 1 of 4)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next

Software Forums