id="info"

General discussion

Outlook 2007 file corrupted - second time

By MyCoach ·
Trying to help non-technical friend: Outlook 2007 pst file shuts down saying corrupted. This is a file that was repaired by user months ago using Stellar repair tool someoe recommended to her as scanpst.exe crashed trying to correct corruption. After that repair, there was all kinds of random screwy data that she worked for month to clean up. One oddity, the file that was corrupted showed, 7,524,961 KB size and resulting 'repaired' file showed 13,805,245 KB size! Doubled-size. Compacting takes hours and doesn't reduce file size much. She's chosen Archive when prompted but file size still huge.

Would like to try creating a NEW default PST file whose structure should be good and take all capturable data from the suspect file and move/copy to this file and then delete the bad file. Hoping this gives good/clean database with smaller size. I am familiar with Outlook but don't use it so I want to make sure that this would be a way to resolve it. Need to know how to unassign current bad file from her default e-mail and replace with new file.

Have searched forums and sites and haven't found situation like this one or possible solution. Hoping help available here. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

That was going to be my recommendation.

by CharlieSpencer In reply to Outlook 2007 file corrupt ...

"Would like to try creating a NEW default PST file whose structure should be good and take all capturable data from the suspect file and move/copy to this file..."

Repair it first, but creating a new .PST was going to be my recommendation. Actually, if possible I'd create several; say, one for each year. A 7.5 gig .PST can take a while to backup, making the owner less likely to do so. Smaller ones can be backed up quicker, and creating a new one annually means once 2009, 08, 07 are backed up, you don't have to do them on a regular basis.

Tell me, does Outlook take several minutes to open and close? I've seen several cases where large .PSTs have had significant impacts on this. That's another advantage to multiple archives: instead of keeping one huge archive open all the time, you can close the previous years and only open them as needed.

Collapse -

So procedure to accomplish this is?

by MyCoach In reply to That was going to be my r ...

Don't use Outlook so not quite sure of process. I'm assuming:

Create new outlook file.
Make it default
(now how to get data into it? Export from old file and Import in?) I see Outlook exports each folder/component separately?.

Want to bring over everything that is salvageable but not sure of process.
And archiving... you create separate archive file names and set dates to archive? Not sure of the process.

Collapse -

File, New, Outlook Data File

by CharlieSpencer In reply to So procedure to accomplis ...

Give it an appropriate name (say, the year). It will then appear beneath the mailbox default folders. Just drag and drop from one to the other.

Collapse -

Forgot to answer your questions

by MyCoach In reply to That was going to be my r ...

Outlook does take a little while to open but not unreasonable... does take a while for mail or contact data to actually appear but the program itself does load OK, I guess. I'm just surprised that all data is contained in one file. Having come from Act!, GoldMine and other CRM apps that use separate files for data I don't like the 'all or nothing' repair-ability of Outlook. Maybe I'm looking at it incorrectly but it seems like a slow, bloated program to me.

Back to Desktop Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums