General discussion

Outlook 98 or 2000

By jc_correa ·
I was wondering if anyone is aware about, errors opening up word attachments in Outlook 98 or 2000. At work we use Exchange servers and I'm the IT support dept and I get a great deal of end user that experience problems opening up word attachments. Currently I have exhausted all avenues to try and get a remedy for this.....to no avail, and no one here can help me out. I just can't believe that there is no remedy for this. At first it was excel we were having problems with, but there is a feature in excel that allows you to uncheck to resolve this. I know our IT dept ran some sort of security patch, to avoid certain emails from coming through that may contain a virus. Ever since that happened a lot of users are not able to open word attachments, if you have any suggestions, it would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Outlook 98 or 2000

by dmiles In reply to Outlook 98 or 2000

Check the settings that you set to receive email,the configuration will not allow email attachments to be received,when they come in,so check your email rules configuration.You will have to aplly the rules that you want to be applied and not check each box.

Collapse -

Outlook 98 or 2000

by jc_correa In reply to Outlook 98 or 2000

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Outlook 98 or 2000

by tommy.leerschen In reply to Outlook 98 or 2000

The first answer is pretty good, though there are a few other thing to check as well. First, is there a size limitation on the inbound files? Can you save it to the desktop and open it? Most security patches are looking for some type of macro or VB/Java script. That could stop it from opening. Check file associations as well. Remember to look for horses on your farm before zebras! (easy things first, then hard)

Collapse -

Outlook 98 or 2000

Collapse -

Outlook 98 or 2000

by travkinlaw In reply to Outlook 98 or 2000

With Exchange, you are able to filter/prohibit certain file extensions (.doc, .xls, etc) from being opened through Outlook. Check and be sure that the problem extensions are not listed in Exchange.

Collapse -

Outlook 98 or 2000

Collapse -

Outlook 98 or 2000

by Miracle In reply to Outlook 98 or 2000

I am familiar with the update you are refering to. To prevent virus`s from spreading Outlook will only allow you to open certain files from within it (.zip files by default.) Otherwise you are prompted to save the files to disk. This prevents any macro virus from running when you open the attachment. That is the reason for you problem. You can find out more from the Microsoft web site at http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/2000/downloadDetails/Out2ksec.htm?s=/downloadCatalog/dldoutlook.asp

Collapse -

Outlook 98 or 2000

Collapse -

Outlook 98 or 2000

by shas_mosley In reply to Outlook 98 or 2000

My office was having the same problem. The place that we looked after we installed a security patch is look in MS Outlook under Tools -> Options -> Mail Format Tab...and there you should make sure "use Microsoft Word to edit e-mail messages" is notchecked.

See if that helps, it worked for us.
Thanks

Collapse -

Outlook 98 or 2000

Back to Desktop Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Hardware Forums