General discussion

Outolook 2002 mails and contacts r gone

By apsoares ·
I did upgrade my Server and my workstation. Server to winddos 2003 and Wkst to WIndows XPP.
Well, my old system [w2k] had a domain of CPSVILLAGE.NET, the newest domain is CPSVILLAGE.local, bcause we have the same domain in the Internet. What's up is when My wkst joined the new domain, everthing was ok but all my emails and contacts desapeared. [we have several hundreds [important e-mail and contacts] What can I do to recover those files?!?! I know they are there, but how can I retrive it?!?Thnx for your help.

Ademir P. Soares

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Outolook 2002 mails and c ...

You will need to be logged on with administrative privileges to conduct this process.

Using Windows Explorer, first go to the Tools menu | Folder options | View tab, and in Advanced Settings, check the button next to "Show hidden files and folders", and uncheck the box next to "Hide protected operating system files."

Next go to C drive | Documents and settings. You will probably see two folders with your user ID as a name. These folders correspond to your user profile under the old domain and under the new domain (if nothing else you can tell them apart by the date stamp). Under each profile, expand the tree down to Local settings | Application data | Microsoft | Outlook. This Outlook folder under each profile is the location of your personal folders (or .pst) file. The next step will depend on whether you have saved any new email or contacts to the new .pst file.

For the sake of brevity, I'm going to assume that there is nothing worth saving in the "new" .pst file. Change the name of the old .pst file to match the name of the new .pst file. Copy the old .pst file to the Outlook folder under your new profile (which will overwrite the old file). When you next open Outlook, all your old saved emails and contacts should be there.

If you do have emails or contacts in the "new" .pst file that need to be saved, post a comment with this info and I will pass on the slightly different process you need to follow.

Collapse -

by ross.laing In reply to Outolook 2002 mails and c ...

It may just be that outlook isnt picking up your personal contacts because the address books are not enabled, to do this, assuming you use Outlook 2002, is to go to tools->email accounts then in the wizard, add a new directory or address book, then add new address books, then select either outlook or personal address book on the next page depending on where the contacts are stored
You then have to exit outlook and go back in again.

Collapse -

by apsoares In reply to Outolook 2002 mails and c ...

Yes, I did create new contacts and have some e-mails that I recreated in my personal folder that I'd like to preserve the extructure!

Thnx again!

Ademir

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)