General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Outraged by RIAA

by 0utraged ·

The RIAA is nothing more than a money hungry group of individuals that didn’t get to roast enough ants with a magnifying glass in their youth. While protecting 85% of American recording artists’ work, they seem to be looking for money and control, via intimidation, like so many other tyrants.

I am a car audio installer, and have been for a long time, and couldnt imagine buying more bass testing songs every time someone ran off with my disc, and I don’t know but a few people that actually go out and buy music from a store or online.

I don’t see how you can protect the artists from a few hundred million to a billion people, downloading music and videos illegaly via peer to peer file sharing. with a loss of about 95% of their potential earnings, I can see why the RIAA is so pissed off, but to fine someone (Jammie Thomas) $1.9 million for 24 songs, what is that??? That’s garbage.

If she couldnt pay that, and was held in contempt in exchange for $50 per day, she would be in jail for 104 years! How is that just? But If you shoot someone, and get sentenced to life in prison in almost any state, a life sentence is a minimum of 25 to 30 years. So I ask this to the RIAA, Should I be more afraid to download music than to shoot someone?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

An industry

by santeewelding ·

In reply to Outraged by RIAA

Owing its existence to the stroke of a pen, can have near anything it wants with more strokes of the pen.

Get used to it.

You really have that much problem

by michael jay ·

with doing the right thing, just buying the music, it really is not that much money, and saves a lot of hassle in the long run.

Oh, and protect your music, don’t let people run off with it.

Protecting Intellectual Property

by maxwell edison ·

Protecting Intellectual Property not only rewards those who create it, but encourages future creation of the same.

Bottom line: do you agree or disagree that such Intellectual Property should be protected from those who would steal it and share it at will?

P.S. If you let someone run off with the CD that you purchased, you should blame yourself, not the one who created the intellectual property. What if they ran off with your CD player? Would you expect the manufacturer to give you another one free of charge?

Well, in that case…

by 0utraged ·

In reply to Protecting Intellectual Property

I’m not mad that the RIAA is enforcing copyright laws, I am mad that they are imposing such harsh penalties for non violent crimes, that really aren’t causing anyone any kind of physical harm.

So charge them.

by charliespencer ·

Add the cost of the CD to the bill.

Just because you don’t know people who buy digital music doesn’t keep it from being the most popular current method of distribution. That fact causes me to believe you install more units with some form of connection for an MP3 player than without.

If that’s the case, quit testing with CDs. Get a cheap MP3 player and give a customer a discount if he loads some thumping test tracks for you. Then use a couple of feet of heavy chain to connect it to a cinder block; ain’t nobody driving off with that boat anchor.

Not that easy

by 0utraged ·

In reply to So charge them.

How can i charge someone extra for something after they have left with it? and not every cd player I install has Ipod\mp3\auxiliary capabilities

Yes, it really is that easy.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Not that easy

Do you have some sort of installation and testing check list? Then put ‘GET THE DAMN CD BACK!’ on the bottom.

Include the cost of the CD as part of your standard service charge. Before you start installation, tell the customer they’re eligible for a discount if they remind you to retrieve it.

Have them test with their music. As a customer, I’ve always been more concerned about how my favorite CD (or VHS cassette, or DVD, or 8-track, or cassette, or vinyl) sounded than whatever you (or the guys at the electronics store) want to demonstrate.

You’ve got screwdrivers, crimpers, connectors, adapters, speaker wire; etc. Put the empty CD case in your tool box, then don’t remove the box until the job is finished. The empty case will be staring at you when you close it.

Buy a bunch of cheap blank CDs, have someone pull down something from the public domain, and have him or her burn a ton of them.

Dude, I don’t do this for a living and I’ve come up with half a dozen ways to remember this. This is no different from a computer technician remembering to remove the CD from a client’s computer when he’s done installing software. Oh, wait; there’s one minor difference. If your client drives off with a music CD, you’re out maybe $12. If a computer owner walks out with a Windows 7 CD still in the drive, the service tech is out $250 or more. Gods forbid it should be AutoCAD or something else that will cost thousands to replace.

Don’t blame the RIAA, your customers, or anyone else; part of your job is to keep up with your tools.

yep . . . that’s what blank CR-Rs are for . . .

by who am i really ·

In reply to Yes, it really is that easy.

you create a backup copy:
          this is not illegal because there is an RIAA / CPCC levy on the blank disc for this exact reason

you put the original in a secure place and use the copy for testing purposes

another thing you can do in this case, is create a CD of partials,

Audacity is free and you can manipulate the songs to be worthless for anything but testing

ie. take the best parts of songs
          Fade-in to the bumping / booming, rattle the neighbors windows parts then Fade-out

drop about 15 minutes of 1 – 2 minute samples onto a CD-R and you protect your investment

Let me guess

by santeewelding ·

[b]”Outraged”[/b] is a new, throwaway ID, not meant to weather time, that you may later contribute to pressing issues of the day?

Undecided.

by 0utraged ·

In reply to Let me guess

If I can find a topic worth debating, then this profile may stick around. otherwise, yea, its trashed. and actually, its 0utraged, pay more attention to detail. snd for the record, I could care less about replacing a few cd’s here and there. But the RIAA imposing fines of up to $80,000 per song is absurd. THAT is my argument, my business is fine, and when customers run off with my cd’s, they are easily replaced. So all you CEO’s need to find another small business owner to try to pick on, I don’t whine about petty bullshit. Oh, and stop with the lectures, I know what’s best for me and my business better than any of you. And the best part is I came up from nothing, I didn’t have mommy and daddy to pay for what I have.

Clever

by santeewelding ·

In reply to Undecided.

A zero instead of an, “O”.

Fits.

Yes

by 0utraged ·

In reply to Clever

Clever indeed

If your concern is someone else’s penalties,

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Undecided.

then why did you even mention losing CDs?

What does your background (or ours) have to do with the subject of copyright violation fines?

Again, the RIAA doesn’t impose penalties; the courts do. If you think the penalties are too harsh for some crimes or not harsh enough for others, take it up with your elected officials.

While you’re chiding others to pay attention to detail, you need to go back and capitalize the first character of your second sentence; replace the first character in the third sentence with an ‘A’; and stop beginning sentences with conjunctions.

Santee

by michael jay ·

In reply to If your concern is someone else’s penalties,

has trained you well.

Hey; you quit that

by santeewelding ·

In reply to Santee

Palmetto is an independent operator. He has his own franchise. Sometimes — in fact, a lot of times — I pick up on, and learn from, what he does.

Sometimes, doubled over with laughter, wishing I had thought of it.

It just seems

by michael jay ·

In reply to Hey; you quit that

that you are often on the case of little errors of syntax, just seemed like a post you would make.

Yes, Palmie is good, even with the curdled whatever it was the other night.

“little errors of syntax”

by santeewelding ·

In reply to It just seems

Once you get a fingernail under them, and lift, they can prove entirely embarrassing to that king who can thereby be shown to otherwise wear no clothes.

I do not do it with abandon. I do it with a purposed fingernail.

No Jedi Master needed for this one.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Santee

Luke could have taken him out with the rest of the Beggar’s Canyon denizens.

Concern

by 0utraged ·

In reply to If your concern is someone else’s penalties,

This is just a half assed statement I typed up on a moment’s notice, and with a second look, I noticed that the jury placed the fine of $9250 per song in the first trial. But in any case, The RIAA is going after violators at random, I think there should be a minimum amount of songs downloaded per offender estabished, before they are allowed to prosecute. Granted, it would also violate recording artists’ rights, but it would protect them in the long run. I.E. If I download 3 songs a month, and my friend downloads 10 songs a month, and you (Palmetto) download 350 songs a month and 26 movies, and I get pinched, and sued, and you walk away clean, thats dumb. If they put more time into investigating the more active offenders, they would make better progress in achieving their goal. The people that just want to have a few songs for thier ipod getting huge fines, and the people you see at gas stations bootlegging movies still get off scott free, that’s bullshit.

Your wish has been granted.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Concern

“I think there should be a minimum amount of songs downloaded per offender estabished, before they are allowed to prosecute.”

There is a minimum amount already: one.

“If they put more time into investigating the more active offenders, …”

So is your complaint with the level of the penalties, or that they’re not being universally enforced? If everyone who illegally downloaded content was subject to the exact same penalties as those you described, would you still consider the severity to be ‘harsh’?

Could be

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Let me guess

a state of mind…
        Next week “Outraged at people farting in elevators”, after that “Outraged at people looking at me and pointing”…

In closing

by 0utraged ·

I have a business to run, and it seems that a few individuals on here have too much time on their hands. Use you Jedi powers to hump eachother through a web cam. Here’s my advice, get a girlfriend, work harder at your job. I post my opinion on something from my point of view, and you criticise me like i am a child, and try to correct me as if you give two shits about this topic. I’m always open for constructive criticism, but you jumped me like a pack of hungry banshees. Get a life.

Apparently, we all have too much time on our hands

by maxwell edison ·

In reply to In closing

Including you.

You do leave one minor thing of value

by santeewelding ·

In reply to In closing

I hadn’t thought of using the plural, “shits”, to get past the censor.

That’s what you get

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to In closing

for not waiting for the cavalry.
        The intellectual rights of distribution companies to the artistic produce of other parties is a can of worms that can be pried at from many angles.
        You didn’t, though. You just banged it down on the counter, pounded your chest, and shouted “Outraged!”
        That’s liable to get the hungry banshees riled up.

Wow!

by maecuff ·

In reply to In closing

You have a business to run? You must be VERY important.

In your place of business do you cry like a little bitch when your employees or clients don’t agree with you? Just wondering.

Viewing 5 reply threads