General discussion

Packard Bell Legend 822CDT won't boot up

By thejourney7 ·
PB Legend 822CDT won't boot up. I can hear the power supply & HD but nothing comes up. It has: 1.2g HD, Intel 100hz Pentium processor, 16MB of Ram, PCI Bus IDE HD Interface, PCI local bus video, 1mb Video Memory(Video Card Builtin) 14,400 Fax modem & Mouse, PB Navigator, Win95 Quad speed CD Rom, 16 bit SRS 3D amphitheater Stero Sound System w/Integrated Speakers (Sound card builtin).
I need help troubleshooting. Please give me step by step procedures in your answer to try and resolve.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by parkerdv In reply to Packard Bell Legend 822CD ...

You can have many things wrong, but try this first.
can you boot from a floppy?
Also do you hear any beeps from the computer during the start up?
If no, then you have a memeory or motherbaord problem.

Collapse -

by thejourney7 In reply to Packard Bell Legend 822CD ...

Reply to ALL: Here's where were at: The monitor works on another system. We put the Hard Drive on another system it works. The CD Rom has power. Tried two new video cards which disables the built in one but didn't help. Put in new power supply.

When the system is turned on there is NO BEEPS at all. The keyboard works on another computer but on this the lights come on and stay on num lock key light will not toggle on and off. The floppy drive does not light up and the boot disk doesn't do anything. Really doesn't get that far. But Floppy Drive and CD Rom Drive have power to them.

When I put the system on the power goes to the monitor the monitor responds (of course still a black screen) and then the monitor will turn off.As I said the monitor has been tried on two different machines and works.

About the video my understanding is that when you put a new video card in it will take over the video chip on the motherboard is this true?

Any suggestions will be helpful in resolving this. Thanks..

Collapse -

by earnest In reply to Packard Bell Legend 822CD ...

Going a little further..If no beeps:
What do you have? Any video at all? If video
any post errors?
If no video, no beeps, any monitor power?
Is monitor plugged In? Is monitor good?

Next step:
Plugin boards could cause problems. Remove the ones not needed for boot. On por do you see any lights momentariarly flash on floppy or cdrom?
Power supply makes noise but are the volts good. Hd uses one 12v, memory uses another and 5v is critical. If only low could cause problems. Try the logicalfirst before getting drastic. It all depends on the above where to go from there. It sometimes helps to look at what you have as well as what you don't. If you do have video and can access bios, disable as much as you can. You need some memory, video, floppy/ hd , and ps to boot. If all else fails, and you can remove some ram (depending on size of simm/dimm)just to see if anything changes.
Good luck,
Bo

Collapse -

The controller on the motherboard was the problem. We Have it up and running!
Thanks for the input...

Collapse -

by mike In reply to Packard Bell Legend 822CD ...

If there is no video it could be the video chip on the motherboard, a common problem in Packard Bell's.

Collapse -

The problem was the controller on the motherboard. It is up and working except for a few bugs to work out. Thanks for your help and input.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)