General discussion

Password to Windows200 Prof.

By medvisions ·
I changed the domain on my windows200 Professional computer which uses a VPN to connect to my Domain. However, when rebooted my password did not work. I do not remember my administrator password either.
Short of re-installing windows2000 prof on this system, does anyone have any ideas of how I can get into windows so that I may change back the domain to the previous one.
Booting to Safe mode, command prompt all require a password.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Poettone In reply to Password to Windows200 Pr ...

Im sorry to say but win2k is such a tight secure system that if the password for administrator is lost, the only option is a reinstall. I had this also happen to me changing to a work domain, I had no clue what I was doing, now I know (through) heavy research that making a network change is a dangerous undertaking, Thanks Microsoft!

Collapse -

by medvisions In reply to Password to Windows200 Pr ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by davis226 In reply to Password to Windows200 Pr ...

YES -- There is a utility made by Winternals called ERD commander. It comes with many utils to help repair NT 4 and W2K systems. One of these utils allows you to boot up off of the setup floppies and gain access to the system through a "limited DOS mode". From here you can change the password of ANY account on the local machine.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)