General discussion

PC Chips m598 MB not working with CPU's

By dvancamp ·
I have a PC Chips m598 MB that has jumperless CPU selection. I have been using it with a Cyrix PR200 and just received a new AMD K6/2-450. The motherboard has the BIOS support for this chip. To install, I cleared the CMOS, installed the new CPU, andpowered on. It is detected as a AMD 350 and the system beeps 2 times and locks before I can hit F1 to go to setup.

When I hit reset a few times, I may eventally get into the Setup. However, settting the CPU speed to 450 or just saving and exiting causes a blank screen. It never shows anything. I have to clear the CMOS again. I put the Cyrix CPU back in and the same problem now occurs.

Anyone have any ideas? This sysetm is for my brother for Christmas.

Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

17 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ccsbz In reply to PC Chips m598 MB not work ...

It seem to me you have 66 MHz bus. if your MB 66/100 MHz bus then go into CMOS and configure Chip Manualy. 100 X 4.5 @ 2.2V or 2.4 check your Chip. if is not 66/100 MHz bus then you need a new mother board.

Collapse -

by dvancamp In reply to PC Chips m598 MB not work ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by brow In reply to PC Chips m598 MB not work ...

I just reviewed the PCChips M598 specs on their site. Thje M598 does NOT support this AMD K6-2-450 CPU. It only supports the AMD up to 400 Mhz. I also checked the latest BIOS revisions for this Motherboard and there is no mention of support AMD CPU's faster than 400 Mhz either. Now if this is the M598LMR then is would support the AMD K6-2-450. Matter fact it supports the AMD Chips up to 500 Mhz.

I know that you can set it to the proper voltages and the proper bus speed in the BIOS for the K6-2-450. HOWEVER the BIOS will NOT recognise it. Basically what you are doing is "overclocking". Thus you must do it manually. I can not offer any assistance with this. There are many sites on the internet that can provide you with the proper instriuctions for doing this.

I beleive that you may also void your warranty if you do this. I also checked the AMD site and the M598 Motherboard is not list as "supported" for speeds faster than 400 Mhz. Exactly what you have to have for support I do not know. But if P

Collapse -

Collapse -

by csheltcomp In reply to PC Chips m598 MB not work ...

The m598 is compat. with the 450 and even a 500. This is a 66/100 mhz board. These boards are very sensitive and sometimes have to be set manually. Clear the cmos and then go into the setup and manually configure the processor. These boards are goodboards if set up right.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by suikam In reply to PC Chips m598 MB not work ...

You better chek to see what voltage uses the 450 chip. Most new chips work at the 2.5 - 2.8 volt range. Depending on the mainboard it may not support the voltage of the new CPU. Also verify that this mainboard supports the clock multiplier of thenew CPU. Finally, verify that your memory chips can run at the same clock speed as the CPU. For example most new chips use PC100 memory while older chips required PC66 memory.

Suikam Kwok

Collapse -

Collapse -

by reese In reply to PC Chips m598 MB not work ...

I have tried several times to get a PCChips board to work with an AMD K6-2. I was unable to make it work until I dropped the CPU to a K6 233. When I was trying to make the K6-2 work I tried 350(100mhz) and 400 cpu's. I never did get the faster cpu's to work. I even tried to underclock the cpu as per AMD's suggestions to no avail. I ended up switching the PCChips board and getting an ASUS P5A. The P5A handles the K6-2's with no problems. I have been to the PCChips site, I know they 'say' they are compatable with the faster front side bus speeds but, I am going to have to disagree with that statement. I was never able to get the PCChips board to work with the 100mhz CPU's. I know that's not what you want to hear.

To get the lowerFSB CPU to work have you tried clearing the CMOS. The PCChips MB seems to keep the faster CPU settings after re-boot without detecting a CPU mhz speed change, but when going from the slower CPU mhz to faster the MB will give you the "cpu settings are incorrect" error.

Collapse -

Back to Desktop Forum
17 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Hardware Forums