Question

• Creator
    Topic

Please help! How can I retrieve my old music library from old Hard drive

by vlprn4life ·

Can someone PLEASE help me? I am a grad student with little money so I cannot afford to pay anyone for this. My Windows Vista laptop crashed with my full music library on it. There were approximately 1,100 songs and 90% of the music wasn’t purchased through iTunes. I threw away the laptop but removed the hard drive prior. Is there a way ( some device) that I can attach to the old hard drive that I have and remove the old music library? I was just wondering if there is a jump drive BIG enough to handle all that data? If not, what and how? My next issue will be attaching the removed music to my new laptop which is a refurbished iBookG4. I know this is asking alot but I am DESPERATE to not have to try to buy all of this music again.

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by vlprn4life ·

In reply to Please help! How can I retrieve my old music library from old Hard drive

Clarifications

If the iBook has USB ports,

by Wizard57M-TR ·

In reply to Please help! How can I retrieve my old music library from old Hard drive

you can buy an external USB hard drive enclosure, mount your old hard drive in it,
      then connect to your iBook USB port. If I remember correctly, Mac OSX can “read”
      and copy files from Windows NTFS, but it can’t “write” files to that file system.

Reponse To Answer

by vlprn4life ·

In reply to If the iBook has USB ports,

Thank you soooo much. I see from another reply below, that this might be only about $15. I will try to resolve the issue this weekend. You’re phenomenal!

If you didn’t encrypt the drive there isn’t a problem

by oh smeg ·

As Wiz said a USB Enclosure or a USB to SATA/IDE Lead will allow you to connect the HDD through a USB Port to your Mac and read it though you may have to take ownership of the Files/Folders and I’m not exactly sure how you would do that using any OSX OS.

http://www.silverstonetek .com/product_storage.php?tno=0&case=c_25external&area=en

http://www.amazon .com/USB-2-0-SATA-Converter-Cable/dp/B0018MCGVU
      [i]remember to remove the space from between the domain name and the .com for a working link.[/i]

However if you had any form of Encryption of the Windows System you only possibility is to fit that drive to the same Make & Model System and copy the data that you want off it to some form of external storage device unencrypted. When you encrypt the drive you are stooping anyone reading it in anything but the system Model it was originally in.

Col

Crashed?

by info ·

And you say it ‘crashed’. How so? Usually, it’s corruption or failure of the hard drive itself that causes this. So after you’ve managed to get the drive connected, you may still face a bit of a battle retrieving the files from it.

Reponse To Answer

by vlprn4life ·

In reply to Crashed?

Thanks. Noted!

Once you have the needed cables…

by slayer_ ·

If the drive doesn’t work, sometimes throwing it in the fridge or freezer can buy you some life. A friend of mine got his drive to keep working long enough to get most of his files buy wrapping the drive in an ice pack and constantly changing it to keep it cold while it was running.

Addendum

by a.portman ·

wizard57m-cnet ‘s solution, (probably the best) is about $15. If by crashed you mean the hard drive stopped working, you have very few (like one) start of the hard drive left, so get everything ready, hook it up and copy everything right then.

Reponse To Answer

by vlprn4life ·

In reply to Addendum

Great information! Thank you!

Data recovery

by vik808 ·

I used this program once and it worked pretty good….
      Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery for Windows (think it was like $50).

It will only work if the drive still functions though.

retrieve my old music library from old Hard drive

by pmmrozinsky ·

Purchase a 2-1/2 external hard drive case. I have three that were made by Mad Dog. They have a USB interface in them on a approx. five inch long by two an one half inch wide circuit board and you hard drive plugs into the header pin socket. There are screw holes in the circuit board to screw to the hard drive, which then slides into the case. The iBook will install it the same as a USB memory stick. You should be able to copy the WAV and MP3 files to the iBook hard drive and when you are done copying the files you can format your old drive in the external case and put the music back on it. You could also have someone with a Windows system copy the music files to DVDs or memory sticks also.

retrieve my old music library from old Hard drive

by paulprivate ·

Download a copy of Hirens Boot CD 15.1 ISO
      http://www.softexia.com/hirens-bootcd.html
      Burn the ISO to CD (not as a file but as an ‘Image’)
      Boot your crashed Windows PC from this Hirens Boot CD.
      (set Bios to boot from CD before HD)
      On booting from Hirens select ‘Mini XP’ and a Windows XP like environment starts up.
      Now just attach a USB stick or drive and copy from the hard drive.
      Cost 50c max.

recover music

by maccolar ·

1. Stop write anything to your harddrive,otherwise you will re-write the files and permanently loose your important data.

2. Use some data recovery software like this one. My friends recommend it to me, it works pretty well. And then scan your hard drive with the program, set a destination folder (folder where recovered files will be saved) somewhere on your computer. When the scan was finished, it will return a file list, you can choose the files you want to recover.
      http://www.recoverdatamac.com
      Hope this help!

get an IDE to USB connector

by puma4927 ·

You have to buy IDE to USB connector from a pc store near you using which you can connect your laptop hard disk to any system or laptop having usb ports. After connecting the drive you can access the data in it, if not you can also use data recovery software and scan the drive one good data recovery tool is available to download from http://www.softwaredatarecovery.net/windowsrecovery.html

windows data recovery software.

by mmaster3210 ·

You can try any windows data recovery software.

Viewing 11 reply threads