General discussion

PM Office

By willgates ·
After months of leading our Project Management Office, I have been recently asked to become Manager. I have been asked to research and submit a salary for my position. I have my MBA and 3 years of Management experience, but havent the slightest clue as to where to start researching. I have also been asked to Manage another office roughly 50 miles away so I would be doing 2 days in one office and 3 in another. Any help would be appreciated..

Experience: MBA + 3 yrs Management
Position: PM Office Manager for 2 offices 50 miles apart in the Arizona\Phoenix Area
Total No. of Emp.: 20

If anyone knows of a formula or justifiable way of showing salary requirements, I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you in advance...

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Career Builder

by jdmercha In reply to PM Office

Take a look at the Careerbuilder salary calculator. Then ask yourself what the job is worth to you.

Collapse -

PM Office Salary

by kirk.mckay In reply to PM Office

I checked the PMI salary survery for info and here is what I found for a Director of PMO:
Average Salary 108,619 (72,620 -> 149,500)
Average Total Compensation 124,184 (75,236 ->184,000)

Total compensation includes the value of benefits. Hope this helps.

Collapse -

hiring

by Brooklyns Finest In reply to PM Office Salary

hey man if you need someone whose willing to commute from NY only a monthly basis let me know :)

Collapse -

HR a Bit Lazy?

by Ay Caramba In reply to PM Office

Though I have heard of it, I've never seen firsthand a company asking a promotion candidate to name his or her salary. It usually goes the other way around, with the employer starting with a number and negotiations going from there. It might seem like a good deal.

Best of luck in your negotiation!
A few things to keep in mind before I address the numbers quoted by kirkm:

As a negotiation rule of thumb (particularly with salaries), it is always good to get the other party to name a number first, giving you a good idea of where they stand, and how far the negotiation is likely to go. The danger in you starting with a number is that you may start with a lower price than necessary, ultimately ending up with a salary that is lower than your potential.

Also consider additional compensation as a part of the entire package. If you are being asked to commute between two offices, you need to factor that into the equation. Perks such as a company car or at least an auto allowance should be considered. Beware though that this could preclude you from mileage reimbursements, depending on how your accounting department interprets IRS laws.

Vacation is also cheap for a company to provide and is something you might consider asking for in order to bridge a seemingly unbridgeable gap between numbers as negotiations wind down.

Remember, you probably have more power than you realize. Your company would not have asked you to take on the job if they didn't want you, and you are likely worth more than you give yourselft credit for. When the cards are on the table, you would be surprised how willing many companies are willing to grant that extra couple of thousand dollars. After all, losing and replacing a seasoned employee (especially one that is management material) is much more costly.

Most are concerned about creating "bad blood" with their employer, but the reality is that this is a business deal, and as long as you don't over-extend yourself in the negotiations and can deliver on the promise of being a good manager, your employer will be pleased they got off so cheap.

Regarding the numbers quoted by kirm, they seem reasonable to me, though I haven't looked at the survey myself. I don't think that survey takes into account geography or size of the group. Considering the multiple offices, I would assume that this is a sizable group. If such is the case, you may decide to shoot for the upper end of the range, though your relatively few years of managerial experience may limit you somewhat.

Also consider contacting the local PMI chapter to see if they can provide any insight. If you are not already a member, a small investment (~$140 for national and local membership) could get you thousands in extra salary if you have good local data to back up your salary request.

Collapse -

The money is not worth it

by rclark In reply to PM Office

I'm a tech. I admit it. About 8 years ago they asked me to be an assistant manager to relieve the manager of some of the burden of a 7 person support/development shop. I agreed because the manager was also our systems asset so we really needed the relief.

I got the title, but no more money. As time went on, we grew to 15. At that point, we were both in the same boat, too much management and too little tech time. From your description, your training is in the management area, and you chose that for yourself at some point. So you must like it.

Last year we both stepped down and went back to full time techs. We are both much happier and we don't have all the personnel issues to deal with. I don't know if I will ever take another management position. But if I do, it will be at tech plus wages. I figure that each set of 5 people I'm responsible for should give me another 25K in salary. I say that because that is where all the stress in my job came from. Or most of it anyway. Tech stuff you can solve and be done with. Personnel issues just seem to be little energizer bunnies. They keep going and going.....

So my main advise is to get the money on the front end, and then work to make your life smooth with good training and good runsheets for your people.

Then you will have only one major stress factor left: "The Buck Stops Here!"

Collapse -

Another source for salary figures

by kirk.mckay In reply to PM Office

You can also try Monster for salary figures (http://content.salary.monster.com/). I would look under Executive and Management or IT Management. A variety of roles may be close but it should give you an idea. Good luck!

Back to Software Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Software Forums