Question

Power Supply on Dimension 5150 and noise

By cramoscruz ·
I recently replaced my Dell Dimension 5150's hard drive with a WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 640GB SATA II 7200 RPM 32MB Buffer Hard Drive. Now I hear the fan reving up like there's a cyclone in the machine, especially when I insert a DVD, let's say, to search for pictures or a CD to rip music to iTunes.

Is my new hard drive overtaxing the power supply or is the noise an indication of something else (dirt, need for lubrication?). I'm not even sure if the powersupply fan is the culprit. Could the fan on the video card I installed --an XFX PVT84JUSD4 GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI--be the bad guy? Might it be the CPU fan? Who knows?

I was considering replacing the power supply with a 500w or higher one but I'm not sure if this would solve my problem or if it is even doable or worth the costs.

I would appreciate any advice.
P.S Would it matter how many 12v rails I got if I did replace the PSU?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Well - since you had the case opened ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Power Supply on Dimension ...

You would be the best one to tell if you have a dirt problem.

"I'm not even sure if the powersupply fan is the culprit. Could the fan on the video card I installed --an XFX PVT84JUSD4 GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI--be the bad guy? Might it be the CPU fan? Who knows?"

Once again ~who knows ??~ well - you do. Open the case up and have a listen to where the extra fan noise is emanating from.

Some judicious application with a can of compressed air wouldn't go amiss BUT disconnect the system from the mains and unplug the AC Power cord first. When you fire the stream of compressed air into the innards make sure to HOLD THE CPU FAN STILL, because you might force it to spin backwards which would generate electricity and could damage some of the components on the motherboard.

As for the power supply, are we to assume that the original hard drive was the 250GB model shown on the DELL site, together with the Radeon X600 graphics card?

What size is the power supply at present?

I would have felt it prudent to fit a PSU with a minimum of 550W given the size of the HDD and the new GPU.

But you'll know better once to ascertain exactly WHERE the noise is coming from.

*You could take the time to run through a few of these online, and figure out for yourself what PSU you should have.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=psu+calculator&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Edited for *

Collapse -

OK a couple of things here

by OH Smeg In reply to Power Supply on Dimension ...

HDD's don't chew up lots of power and the different sizes tend to use very similar amounts of power so that is unlikely to be the problem here.

But because you had the case open it is possible that something has been dislodged or moved and is causing problems. PS Fans tend to run at the same speed so that is unlikely to be the culprit here though it is possible if you have something like one of the Antec True Power PS's fitted which uses a FAN Sensor on the M'Board to alter the speed of the second fan in the PS.

Here it is more likely to the the CPU Fan which is changing speed so you'll need to open the case and see if there is anything blocking the airflow or the Heatsink on the CPU and clean as required. You may even need to move some wires that may be touching the fan itself.

As for changing the Video Card these are one thing that do chew Power like there is no tomorrow. That may very well be causing issues particularly if and Supplementary Power Plugs have not been plugged into the Video Card. This may cause a unacceptable Load to be placed on the M'Board and lead to the tracks burning out by being overloaded with the power demands of the Video Card.

As for if that is the case here only you can answer that did the new Video Card have a Plug for a Lead from the PS.

As for weather you can change the PS to a different capacity one, these are a standard Size so there should be no issues changing the PS unless it is some strange shape and not like a Box as shown here

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTc1OA==

Instead of buying 500 + W PS's look at a 350 Antec which is rated higher than the Peek Use PS's that are so freely sold around the place and are substandard. Antec PS's are rated to a Full Value load 100% of the time unlike the cheaper PS's that are rated to a Peek Value of what they can supply for short periods of time. The PS's built like the Antec ones offer superior protection to the insides of the case and will scarifies themselves in the event of something going wrong instead of continue working and destroying the computers insides.

I've seen one Antec PS fail when a tree fell onto the overhead power lines and brought the High Voltage Transmission lines into contact with the Low Voltage mains and feed 33 KV into the System. Everything plugged in at the time in the neighborhood was destroyed and when I fitted a new PS to the Computer to test it's function it worked and continued to for the next 3 years without missing a beat. That was the only thing from that house that was repairable everything else had to be replaced.

Col

Collapse -

Dimension 5150 purring like a kitten now

by cramoscruz In reply to Power Supply on Dimension ...

As you advised, I opened up my machine, cleaned its components with a can of air and replaced the 305 Watt Dell supplied PSU with a Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W monster that I got from Newegg.com for $95 (and I'll get back $20 with a mail-in rebate).

I had anticipated having to hacksaw a bit of the case in order to accomodate the new power supply's on/off switch but thank goodness that was not necessary. It fit like a dream, although I must say that I now have crapload of excess cables bunched up in between the PSU and the optical drives.

Still, problem solved: the PSU's fan is providing ample power and quiet ventilation and the video card doesn't get too excited anymore. Thanks for all of your advice.

Collapse -

Your Welcome

by OH Smeg In reply to Dimension 5150 purring li ...

Just don't use any metallic Cable Tie to hold the extra unused cables in place as it could cause a short circuit to occur.

Col

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)