General discussion

Prob. w/Gateway Flat Panel Monitor 1500

By vcummings ·
I built a computer and all is working great until I boot it up at the customer's house: The video adapter is PowerColor Radeon 9200se, 128 DDR, DVI-I and a vga receptacles. Flat Panel Monitor customer has is a Gateway FPM1500 with what I believe to be a DVI-D Plug. I understand that the DVI-D is compatible with the DVI-I and it fits together fine. Boots and can see display on monitor, can see Windows logo flash, then the green power light on the monitor goes amber and there is no display to be seen; however, Windows 98SE goes ahead and loads - can hear it and also can shut it down with the keyboard even thought I can't see it. I looked at the receptacle on the "old" computer this monitor was plugged into and the receptacle is, I believe a DVI-D, like the plug. This computer was working great with a vga monitor, so it's not making any sense to me. I do not have the monitor driver installed yet, but I don't believe that should make any difference - maybe I'm wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I'm about to pull my hair out with this one!!!!
Thanks in advance
Virginia

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by vcummings In reply to Prob. w/Gateway Flat Pane ...

I am also able to boot into safe mode and can see windows. The settings are 800x600, 16 bit true color (of course, it's 640x480 in safe mode). Also, I'm not sure where to find the driver for this monitor as I'm unable to find much information on the Gateway FPD1500. If anyone can fill in what I'm missing here, I'd be thankful . . . and relieved! It has to be a fairly simple solution and I'm not getting it. Thanks, Virginia

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Prob. w/Gateway Flat Pane ...

try changing the refresh rate setting on your adapter card but first install monitor driver. i do think the monitor driver will make a difference. your monitor probably fails safe if driven at incompatible refresh rate. if driver 'knows' about monitor's capabilities, you probably will only get configuration choices that your monitor supports. without it maybe you are being allowed to pick an 'illegal' refresh rate. your great experiment in Safe mode supports this theory imho

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to

here is the link to the driver. you don't mention which os so i guessed xp. if not, search for 'lcd monitor driver' at www.gateway.com pick tech support then downloads
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?now=1&id=19039

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to
Collapse -

by vcummings In reply to

Poster rated this answer.
Thanks sgt_shultz. I used the monitor driver once I did purchase and install a compatible graphics adapter. I really appreciate your help!

Collapse -

by kennethsf In reply to Prob. w/Gateway Flat Pane ...

In some other equipment (not sure about yours) video drivers default to one of the outputs in your card and not both (they treat video hardware as if they were different video cards) so a good try would be to connect a standard VGA monitor along with the dvi-connected unit and then wait for windows to load. Chances are you will get video on the vga unit. Then you can go to advanced video configuration panel (rightclick on the desktop, then choose properties) and look for some tab where you can choose the default video output connector. Choose the DVI output and video should switch from the VGA monitor to the LCD unit. Reboot to be sure.

HTH

Ken

Collapse -

by vcummings In reply to

Thank you kennethsf, as your comments helped me to eliminate possible solutions. I did try your suggestions. Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by grantsch In reply to Prob. w/Gateway Flat Pane ...

I had similar problems with the same monitor. I was using a dual VGA / DVI graphics card and by default windows selected the VGA as primary. If I remember right, I had to boot using VGA monitor, play around with card config make sure the DVI port was configured as primary device. If it's not in the software, there might be a jumper on the card to instruct whether VGA or DVI is primary. Good luck.

Collapse -

by vcummings In reply to

Thanks grantsch@eircom.net. This answer also helped me to troubleshoot the problem. Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by vcummings In reply to Prob. w/Gateway Flat Pane ...

I'm not sure if this is the right place to make this comment, but I didn't want to close the question or not accept any of the answers just yet. I am at a "holding" point on this problem, but have tried installing the monitor driver and that did not resolve the problem, so as a temporary solution I provided a vga monitor until I can resolve the issue with the flat panel monitor. I have spent another 5+ hrs. at the customer's house trying different solutions and none have worked. I will be picking up the computer and the monitor in the next couple of days and will be able to get more in depth with the troubleshooting. At that time, I will try the solutions posted here and get back with all of you. Thanks so much for your answers - I appreciate all of your help!

Back to Hardware Forum
14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next